Unlocking Question

ISI's new sim rFactor
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Unlocking Question

Post by KNAPPO »

I have purchased rFactor about a year ago now but the install was on my old pc that died...

I have finally resurrected the old comp a few weekends ago and I would like to install it on my new pc to see how it goes but I cannot remember my unlocking details for the life of me.

Is there any way I can access these from my current rFactor install on my old pc?
I have had a poke around the menus trying to see if I can find it but I have had no luck so far.

:kangaroo:
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Bauer

Re: Unlocking Question

Post by Bauer »

There are two ways to purchase rFactor: PayPal and Credit Card. If you pay with PayPal, you pay $40 without taxes (unless that has changed in recent weeks) and you will have to wait for ISI to send you an unlock code to your PayPal adress (how long that takes, I don't know).

This unlock code can be used just once (!). You install rFactor, copypaste your unlock code in the correct field and you can begin racing. Once you've activated rFactor this way, you will receive an email from TryMedia (if you haven't, check you spam folder). In this email you will find an activation code (which has no bearing to your unlock code from PayPal! Paypal code is useless now)
When you installed and activated rFactor, a license file was created in C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataTrymedialicenses (if you can't see it, make sure to enable show hidden folders). This license file allows you to play rFactor on your specific PC. When you uninstall rFactor, this license file will remain on your PC, and thus, you need NOT reactivate rFactor. Install rFactor as often as you'd like, you will NEVER need to reactivate.
This also applies when you format you harddrive. Before doing so, back up you license file (!), and when you've reinstalled windows and rFactor, restore your license file and you can immediately play again, without it costing you an activation.

HOWEVER, if you change your hardware configuration, THEN you WILL need to reactive rFactor (though I dont know the treshold. I installed a new videocard a while back and rFactor didnt need to reactivate). Once you've reactivated rFactor, make sure to backup your license file again.

If you install rFactor on another PC, obviously, you will need to activate rFactor again. (and back up that license).

Once you've used all your activations, you can request additional activations FREE OF CHARGE. The exact procedure, I dont know (didnt need to do so myself), but it involves sending an email to TryMedia. (NOT isi!)

I hope this solves many of your questions, and if you see people that dont know about this yet, give them the link to this topic.

Bottom line: back up you license file in C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataTrymedialicenses ! (for Windows XP (and probably 2000). Windows 98/ME will have a slightly different folder)
--------------
Stu
Gizmo
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Post by Gizmo »

Get the Leo FFB plugin mate. It actually gives the game some feeling. Makes it really good.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Bauer wrote:
When you installed and activated rFactor, a license file was created in C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataTrymedialicenses (if you can't see it, make sure to enable show hidden folders). This license file allows you to play rFactor on your specific PC. When you uninstall rFactor, this license file will remain on your PC, and thus, you need NOT reactivate rFactor. Install rFactor as often as you'd like, you will NEVER need to reactivate.
This also applies when you format you harddrive. Before doing so, back up you license file (!), and when you've reinstalled windows and rFactor, restore your license file and you can immediately play again, without it costing you an activation.

HOWEVER, if you change your hardware configuration, THEN you WILL need to reactive rFactor (though I dont know the treshold. I installed a new videocard a while back and rFactor didnt need to reactivate). Once you've reactivated rFactor, make sure to backup your license file again.

If you install rFactor on another PC, obviously, you will need to activate rFactor again. (and back up that license).

Thanks Bauer.

Ill try and get my licence file off my old pc and see if that works before going any further but i suspect that by installing it on a fresh pc with a defferent hardware config ill have to request another unlock.

I guess ill need to contact TryMedia if i need another unlock?
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Yes. This is the email you'll need. purchase@rfactor.net Just tell them what happened and they'll give you more :)
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Gizmo wrote:Yes. This is the email you'll need. purchase@rfactor.net Just tell them what happened and they'll give you more :)
Thanks mate :yes:
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

You can just put your email in on the trymedia site and they send your unlock code.

Here
http://csc.trymedia.com/
Takes a bit for the whole page to load

Or here if the link works :)
http://csc.trymedia.com/csc/question/pu ... index.html

I don't know if unlocks are still counting because the last 2 times I did it, it said I'd been granted a free activation.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Thanks Darren, i sent them my email address as it asked so fingers crossed it all works.
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Any luck with the unlockingness mate? Normally it's done overnight. I sent an email off yesterday requesting new activations but haven't heard back yet.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Yeah Giz i sent my email to the TryMedia site as per Darren's post
DarrenM wrote:You can just put your email in on the trymedia site and they send your unlock code.

Here
http://csc.trymedia.com/
Takes a bit for the whole page to load
Had an unlock key emailed back to me by the time o got home from work!
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

I got mine too. And on a side note, slowmo just got rF too :)