I want a Motorbike!

Need a hand with a home project, how to fix that bloody roof leak, hang a door etc...
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

I want a Motorbike!

Post by NeilPearson »

OKay. as the title says I want to get a motorbike.

Now as Western Australian Law stands, those getting a R Lisence must have it for one year before going upto an RE license, and since i dont have either, i need to get an R.

Long complicated story short, i need a 250. and i wouldnt mind getting it asap, thus forcing me to get the license ;)

Looking at the auto trader website, seem to be a few Hyosung GT250 Floating around, now i never heard of this thing but its kind of what i am after ie style of bike etc. I really like the yamaha yzf R1 and is probably what I will get when i can get a full license.

Anyone have any suggestions or info i might need?

Thanks in advance.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Re: I want a Motorbike!

Post by c.j »

get your 250 licence, buy an R6, blow away cops that chase and laugh your way into the R1 sunset...

muuuhahahahahahaaaaa!!!!!

Welcome to 2 wheeled world. Enjoy. New R1 is going to be a ball tearer...
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Most people will tell you that the Hyosung bikes are unreliable and cheaply made, but I can't really comments as I don't own one and only know of one person who does. He didn't seem to have much trouble with it. Piece of advice, that I wish I had taken, is get something 2nd hand. You won't hand on the the first bike very long, you'll be dying to get off it in fact. There are plenty of low, low km 250's around the place as people hang on to them for a year and then get rid of them after they are off restrictions.

Other bikes to look at

Honda
cbr125
cbr250
vtr250

kwaka
gpx 250

Yamaha
Scorpion

There are probably more but they are some common ones that I can think of.

Good luck with the choice, welcome to the dangerous world of motorbikes :D
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Righteous wrote: Piece of advice, that I wish I had taken, is get something 2nd hand. You won't hand on the the first bike very long, you'll be dying to get off it in fact. There are plenty of low, low km 250's around the place as people hang on to them for a year and then get rid of them after they are off restrictions.
Great advice Righty...

I was lucky, Q Ride allowed me to step on to an R6 str8 away, but I have been riding dirt since i could walk so I was confident enough. You will be having a ball on a 250 then suddenly you will want to go to a bigger bike.

An ace 250 is the Hornet. Yes, i HATE hondas with a passion, sorry righty, but they make some great bikes. And the Hornet is a great learner legal 250. Stay away from the CBR250. in my opinion

;)
macca
Founder
Founder

Post by macca »

Good advice above, you will definitely tire of the 250 & 2nd hand is the way to go, I started out on a 750 & stepped up to a Kwaka 1200 within 3 months :D (I could start on the bigger bikes due to age, gold license & was a rider from decades before, etc), however going from a 250 to an R1 is a huge step if this is your first time on bikes, good luck :yes:
I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zedmacca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Here is my little adventure on the motorbike discovery thing.

It gets a little confronting there somewhere too as I get run in to at one point. Might be worth a read.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5611&p=85442#p85442
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

my mate just got himself a Hyosung 250 and he bought it around to show me today, for a brand new bike under 6k it's pretty bloody good. It's got a really throaty exhaust note too for a 250. And unlike a lot of modern 250's it's full size, some of them are too small. I sat on it today and it was quite comfortable. His only complaint is he said the brakes could be better. Also my old man works with a couple of blokes who have Hyosungs and he said they haven't had any issues with them. They are the Hyundai of motorbikes i guess.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

if you want to save some dollars and put them away for when you head up to the bigger bikes. Why not look at something like the Zongshens. Engine wise, they are pretty much Hondas. The company themselves have a few ties with Honda and i think (don't hold me to it) they even ran a bike in the 125's last year and maybe this year. My mate is a Zongshen dealer and they sell quite a few bikes for road going purposes. And not 1 has come back yet. The ZS250GS is quite a nice bike, and i think you can ride away on it brand new for under 3 (again, my memory is shocking, i could be way off). They aint the prettiest bikes, nor do they have the most sting. But they are gonna get you from A to B and be reliable.

check out the ZS here http://www.zongshen.com.au/ZS250GS_2_specs.html

but again 90% of people will want to stick to names they know. But if you were considering a Hyosung then you probably could consider this...

**edit** Just spoke to my mate, he said they go for around $3500 and come with a year warranty aswell. He also said the Hyosungs are quite good too, but Generally the extra coin is only buying you a better look over the Zongshens.
pab

Post by pab »

Looks like they saved quite a bit of money in their website department :)

http://www.zongshen.com.au/LZX250ST_4.html
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

lmao. oh my god, thats dodgy, meanwhile, i have ridden one of those quads, they are pretty fricken insane.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

I got my learners today, now i need to either A) get the bike/helmet etc and get lessons, or b) get lessons. I am thinking of getting the bike first and learning on that, as ill have all my own things etc and wont have to relearn something. plus i can fuck around in my neighbourhood :D

Thanks for the info guys, and yes sin thats alot of help :P heh.

righty good read, glad to see you came away unhurt! and your love or motorcyles is all good :)

I found a Honda CBR125 2007 model with only 200ks on the clock for $4,150.. rofl also found one on the net with the same 200ks in another state for 3,500...

Kawasaki Balius $3899 - I like the look of this bike, while its not what I originaly looked for it looks nice and am thinking about it...

I priced up some helmets and jackets today, $870 all up i think

$299.95 for a HJC helmet (see image) Image
$210 for a jacket,
$200 for Pants
$60 for gloves
$100ish for wet weather gear.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Depending on what you are doing, and it was the last thing I bought, you should probably look at some boots too. I know it's another cost but...
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

those prices are about right tho?

I saw some boots, only nice ones were up around $300 tho :\ and i plan to ride to and from work and stuff around other days :)
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

yup prices look fine for entry.
Maybe take a look at some dragin jeans however.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

thanks righty :)

okay.

I been browsing the paper, and i found a Honda CBR250RR 1998 (according to wiki its just a 1996 model sold in 1998) for $3,500 and im going to go have a look at it, its a private seller.

is there anything i need to look out for? I really dont have a clue with bikes, so want to have some sort of heads up ;)
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

I think that price sounds ok. Things to look for, hmmm I don't know too much about what to look for as I have shamefully only bought new bikes.. But

Tyres: If they are really hard or worn then it may be a way to get price down. In fact, tyres are probably one of the single most important things to check, it's all that is keeping you upright.

Brakes would be good to check on.

How much rego is left?

Check for any signs that it's been dropped. If it has bent levers, bars, pegs etc. Get them to run it for you, but from cold. Engines will warm up and sound better than what they normally would from cold.

Not sure what else...

Maybe some more mechanical minded peeps will know.

I'm not sure if you have been to http://www.netrider.net.au but there are a million people who ask the same questions everyday. Here is a good starting point.
http://www.netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4306

That should answer plenty of questions and give you some better guidance.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

thanks righty, been viewing the forums and heaps of info there. thanks!
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

I wouldnt go near a CBR 250. But thats my own judgment.

A secondhand hornet would be more suited to what you are after. The CBR are too stiff, not comfy, shit house in the rain and old as the hills.

;)
WizardHat

Post by WizardHat »

My old man has a Triump Rocket III.

Fuck me it goes...

Good luck finding a weapon Neil!
The only thing we really need is a good tune, good view & a good brew.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

I saw a yamaha yzf 250 1997 model today, for 2,550, or a kawasaki zzr250 for 4,500 im leading towards the kawasaki it seems to be a nice bike :D

it was nice and he recommended it over te cbr 250's anyday.

also today i found out i need a new car, as mine is prone to exploding. thanks to a new hole thats appeard in the fuel tank. hurrah.
avaran

Post by avaran »

I have a 2006 VTR 250 that needs to go as of today, being that my restrictions are over... hehe.

I'd also invest in a pair of knee/shin pads if your pants don't have them built in. I think i bought some nice dainese ones for $50, if i remember correctly

I haven't had to use them yet, but my friend laughed at me for getting them, and then lost an argument with a car about how much having your shins bashed in can hurt.

Bikes are great. :)
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Protection is a personal thing... how much risk as opposed to how much comfort or something like that... im tired...

I wear good boots, gloves, jacket and pants... thats about it... on track i wear back brace, mouthguard, left knee brace and better gloves, with leather pants and jacket... alpinestars across the board, cept jeans... draggin jeans are expensive, but proven.

the thing is, i cant stand to wear that shit road riding. If you get a 250, you arent going to be balls to wall flat out... and if you do, you deserve what you get.

All those old 250's are clapped out and used and abused pretty much, altho i would say that the Kwacka is the best of the lot. YZF 250's werent made to be friendly and neither were CBR's in my opinion.

ZZR's comfy and teach you to ride. If you can afford to buy something newer, Hyosung have a good name. Their are plenty of rider friendly learner bikes to pick from with all sorts of image. If you are just starting to learn to ride, i would suggest a road/trail... WR250f or something similar. That way you can go out to the state forest and learn to ride.
Things i have learnt from years of dirt biking have saved my ass in some hairy fuckin moments on my R6's... including the occasional 2 wheel drift around something big and deadly like suddenly swerving truck etc... makes your ass pucker but if i didnt have that dirt time i reckon i would be dead by now...

or you could stop being a faggot and just buy an R6... :lol:

;)
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

With the issues i am having with my car, im going to put this on hold, im gonna get my lisence, just not geting a bike :(

Anyway i was talking to this guy i met at the petrol station and he was really talkin up the hyosung, bit expensive but might be an option

and im not getting a bike i cannot ride off the bat! :P
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

I was lookin at the hyosung while back neil. Seems the goods but in the end I was convinced (very last minute... almost had the loan) to get a cheap 2000 grand 250 to learn on. Everyone I've spoken to has said you'll wanna upgrade before long once your confident and that sorta convinced me in that whats the point in spendin 7000 grand or something ona bike i'll wanna get rid of in 6 months or so. Having said all this I still havn't convionced the missus this is something well worth spending any amount of money on so until we've got some decent money behind us i'm pretty well screwed lol. (and I'm now in debt around 326,000 grand so fuckit.)
Fandangas,Fang,Fangas,Bangas,Fanny,Fan,Fandsy,Fandangdiddlyo........