Games Development

Need a hand with a home project, how to fix that bloody roof leak, hang a door etc...
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Games Development

Post by Fandango »

Anyone into games development round here?

A mate and I got on the turps and came up with an idea for a cool little independant game. I know theres a fair amount of work involved (which may just wreck the whole idea from word go lol!) but if we can get something happening and it's not too hard we'll probably keep each other motivated.

Any sites anyone can recommend for information and programs etc. would be great. :)
Fandangas,Fang,Fangas,Bangas,Fanny,Fan,Fandsy,Fandangdiddlyo........
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Re: Games Development

Post by AstrO »

What do you plan to develop the game in?
"We will not be releasing a sanitised or cut down version [of Alien vs. Predator] for territories where adults are not considered by their governments to be able to make their own entertainment choices." Rebellion CEO Jason Kingsley
pab

Post by pab »

His bedroom? :lol:
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

Well i've had a quick look but the programming side seems... well, boring as batshit (and fuggin hard) so we were actually thinking we might try get a programmer on board now. I jus wanna design it and do the artwork and all that.
Basically we just cbf'd writing code. This may amount to nothing because of that lol!
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

yeah be hard to get it going man. good luck with it. Hit me up for sound when it gets to that point.
Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

Really hard without a good programmer(s)...

We had about 6 ppl from uni who started making a game. Had 3D person who made models, a few really good programmers, creative minds etc etc.
In the end we piked after many pages of documentation (requirements & design).
It's very hard to stay motivated on something so complex without monetary reward.

You can try selling your game to a developer - but that's really hard too. Either they'll fob you off, rip you off or steal your ideas :)
It's not a well paying industry for most involved, but that said, 2 guys I went to high school with are working for high profile game studios now.

Persistence is the key. Best of luck!

Here's some links that you might find helpful - if you haven't looked already.
http://forums.indiegamer.com
http://www.gamedev.net
Luigi only likes Ferraris.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

yeah I was watching with interest - and still watching - what you guys will do. Programming is not something you can "learn as you go", really. Well, you can try but the result will be less than spectacular, that I can guarantee. After 10 yrs or so you'll probably be somewhere with it.

Do you guys have an experienced project manager? That's the other thing most folks overlook. It can make or brake a whole project. You can actually start working without a programmer, as the first parts are non-coding ones, but organisation and documentation is usually essential (may not look like that in the first few weeks, but it is)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Charles

Post by Charles »

I used to do a bit of game programming, but gave up because it is such a massive time black-hole.

It's easy enough to come up with heaps of great ideas for a game, but the real test is whether they are implementable within a practical time frame. If you intend to start making a game, I'd advise starting out with modest goals; aim to complete a very basic game so you get an idea of what kind of time needs to be committed.

As Pingers mentioned, gamedev.net is a good sight for learning the basics of game programming. :yes:
avaran

Post by avaran »

Microsofts XNA might be the go if a monetary reward will spur you on. You can sell you games on XBOX Live and get up to 70% of the profits.

Game Dev isn't that hard, if you have fun doing it. But you really do need an awesome programmer, me not being one, realised this quickly!
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

Thanks guys... I've realised i've got far too much on my plate at the moment... the missus bein away for a month i'm almost floating in the rubbish filled house. And i've just started photography and getting more creative again which I'm lovin so We're gunna put it on hold for now. Programming is definately not what either of us want to do so that pretty much screws the pooch lol. One day... when I'm loaded and don't have to work all day!
ashsimmonds

Post by ashsimmonds »

ysu wrote:Programming is not something you can "learn as you go", really. Well, you can try but the result will be less than spectacular, that I can guarantee. After 10 yrs or so you'll probably be somewhere with it.
Hehe that's *exactly* how I did it!! :p And yeah - 10 years or so mostly full-time (plus random learning since my C64 in 1984) and I think I'm ok at it. :)

Still - as for games, I'd struggle to make anything more than Breakout or Space Invaders.

As to the OP's idea... If it's a "BIG" idea - your only course of action is to *hope* to sell it to a big company to develop - if you have it fully worked out. If it's a quaint but cool idea - like say many of the flash games that are posted around which are addictive for a few hours... it might be worth investigating.
because you can't drive a house
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

ashsimmonds wrote:
ysu wrote:Programming is not something you can "learn as you go", really. Well, you can try but the result will be less than spectacular, that I can guarantee. After 10 yrs or so you'll probably be somewhere with it.
Hehe that's *exactly* how I did it!! :p And yeah - 10 years or so mostly full-time (plus random learning since my C64 in 1984) and I think I'm ok at it. :)

Still - as for games, I'd struggle to make anything more than Breakout or Space Invaders.

As to the OP's idea... If it's a "BIG" idea - your only course of action is to *hope* to sell it to a big company to develop - if you have it fully worked out. If it's a quaint but cool idea - like say many of the flash games that are posted around which are addictive for a few hours... it might be worth investigating.
Yeah I know ash, I think that's not really what I wanted to say....and I haven't learned the trade in the school either. ;) I've started with some basic then some assembly on the zx spectrum by the way :D
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
ashsimmonds

Post by ashsimmonds »

LOL half my point was I've done the "learn as you go" thing and my results are less than spectacular - exactly like you said!!! :p

However, they are very very very very good I should point out (in case any future clients are googling me :p )
because you can't drive a house