fuel

iRacing
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Re: fuel

Post by NeilPearson »

good thing i didnt launch a full scale attack then ;)
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Quincy wrote:
pab wrote:To be honest, I haven't played with the fuel levels yet (forgot all about it last week, so I guess I just did all my sessions on full tanks), but I had assumed the approximate value you're talking about represented the fact that in the real world they can never be completely sure about exactly how much fuel went in (in the same way you sometimes see cars having to come back into the pits to top off because not all the fuel went in or the hose attached late etc.). It gives us an extra strategy card to play, do we fuel a bit lighter and take the risk of running out, or play it safe, but run a bit heavier? If it always told us how much we had and how far we could go down to the last ml of fuel and yard fo track then it'd just be a matter of putting in exactly what it told us to do. I just see it as an extra challenge (one which real world racers also need to deal with).

Or am I totally misunderstanding hwo this works?
I agree.

Also, has anyone noticed the fuel estimate deviates when you are hurtling down the straight, foot to the floor, and then re-calculates when you lift and start hitting the corners? Looks like it can recalculate on the fly, to compensate for different driving conditions. Fuel usage is going to be different from driver to driver. Always going to be hard to calculate, unless you put in the hours for testing. But I suppose, if you're serious about iRacing, you'll have this under control anyways ;)
I can appreciate what you guys are saying but as Darren pointed out in reality everything is precise and they've just given us this half-arsed lap estimate to give the illusion of there being some room to manoeuvre.
I'm not saying I want all the work done for me but at least give us something use able, the fact that it recalculates on the fly is just silly, I can't believe any real life system works like that, you can't even pull over to have a gander because it just starts zooming up to some ridiculous number. Guess what, if you sit perfectly still you can do 500 laps :doh:
Also the trucks are the only series at the moment where this even really matters. They race at a level where all of this is taken care of by the team and the drivers can concentrate on turning laps, not on monitoring some little obscure display on their dash. Sim racers take on this extra stuff, all I'm saying is give us decent tools to do this so we can keep our main focus on the actual driving.

Anyway I'll leave it at that for this discussion, I really don't care about this as much as I probably seem to do. I'll manage for sure it's just one of those quirky little things about iRacing that makes me shake my head.
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

fair call Sars. :)
balls & boobs. . .