Live8 - A London Review

Chat about stuff you listen to or play
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Live8 - A London Review

Post by Big Kev »

I'll add to this as the day goes on.

First up was Paul McCartney and U2 who kicked off with the rather lame St Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band. Not a patch on Status Quo starting Live Aid off. PMC then left the stage and U2 did a couple of hits. Then there was a bit with Bono being a bit pretentious.

Coldplay were ok. I think the big bands should be on later in the evening when the crowd have warmed up a bit.

Elton John is on now. He's really rocking. Not my usual cup of tea but he's doing it properly. Good rocking songs to get the crowd going.

Dido. :sleep: Stop world music boredom now!

Stereophonics. They woke everyone up again. Good set.

R.E.M - Good batch of songs. Michael Stipe looked a knob with a blue face paint mask on but they did a good show.

Ms Dynamite (English black rapper type for those who don't know) - Dunno why she's on the set list. She's only had about 3 hits a couple of years ago. Not exactly mega famous. Her songs don't really go well with 200,000 strong crowds.
I wish you could smack every artist to asks people to put their hands in the air or says let me hear you say yeah.

Keane - Good live band. Singalongy songs.

Travis - not bad. Did a terrible Bee Gees cover though.

Geldoff - Did 'I don't like mondays'

Annie Lennox - excellent first acoustic song. Good upbeat end.

UB40 - pants. Always have been, always will be.
lol I love it when they film people in the audience singing the wrong words.
Line was 'take my hand, take my whole life too'. They filmed a girl mouthing 'take my hand, take my whole WIFE too'

Snoop Dogg - he was good. Not usually a (c)rap fan but he did a good set of songs. And he said motherf*ckers twice on BBC tv at 6.45 in the evening. LOL! That'll bring in the complaints :D

Razorlight - Pretty good new band.

Madonna - Very good show. Up there with Elton at the moment as show highlight for me.

Snow Patrol - only did 2 songs. Not bad. I think he forgot the words to the first one at one point.

The Killers - Only did one song but a great performance.

Joss Stone - Amazing voice. Did a good batch of songs but would rather have seen more of The Killers and less of her.

Scissor Sisters - Brilliant. Brilliantly camp too.

Velvet Revolver - er..interesting :)

Sting - was ok.

Mariah Carey - built her part a bit too much. Cracking set of lungs on her though.

Robbie Williams - not a fan but he did a good show

The Who - Proper rock music :) They were ace!

Pink Floyd - not a huge fan. They were pretty good though.

Paul McCartney - Not a fan of him either. Was ok I guess.

Overall I didn't think it was that great. Not the meeting of great world supergroups that Live Aid was. Think I'd rather see fewer but bigger bands do longer sets. But then at the end of that day that's not what it's about really I guess.
Last edited by Big Kev on Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:58 am, edited 14 times in total.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Just been watching it as well. Duran Duran are trying to kick some arse, but Simon Lebon is a dead set knob. I assume they are in Rome.
Coopz
King of the Wierd
King of the Wierd

Post by Coopz »

Hey a music forum!
norbs wrote:
Stop bullying him. You have more birthdays each year than he gets roots!
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

w00dsy wrote:Just been watching it as well. Duran Duran are trying to kick some arse, but Simon Lebon is a dead set knob. I assume they are in Rome.
I was thinking the same thing.
I was also thinking you could really tell the people that only sing in recording studios as opposed to the people that sing live. Green Day (I think it was) really performed well live, while dildo was hitting a few off notes.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

Greenday in Germany sounded sooooo good on the radio earlier today!!! wanna see a video of that!!!
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

yeah they went off, there was a cool image of some dude crowd surfing and getting dropped :D
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
IanG

Post by IanG »

All I saw was the Channel 9 "Classic Hits" version. Introduced by Delta (what the hell was she doing there??) and Richard bloody Wilkins. It was a bit dissapointing. U2 were crap (as usual) Elton was pretty good and Macartney was his usual smug self. (I liked "Helter Skelter" though). And why oh why did we have to put up with Tina Arena and some other bloke murder a perfectly innocent Beatles song?? Even if they were accompanied by very nice guitar. Pink Floyd were the highlight for me (more nice guitars), but I would like to have seen a bit more variety in the musical styles and genres. (no Snoop Dog or Yousur Nadour (sp) for Channel 9 thankyou very much). The rest of it was pretty forgetable.