Karnivool - Sound Awake

Chat about stuff you listen to or play
petey

Karnivool - Sound Awake

Post by petey »

Absolutely awesome.

[youtube] [/youtube]
EDIT: Just to clarify this song is Set fire to the hive, the album is sound awake.

Album was out on friday, it has already made it to illegal downloads but I will be buying it next time I find myself in JB Hi-Fi.

I would try and describe the music but wouldn't know where to start (hard rock?).
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Re: Karnivool - Sound Awake

Post by nutty »

Grabbed it on friday, been fucking smashed at work and havnt had a chance to listen through it.. really really looking foward it.. last album is a 10top all time album for me
Cetram

Post by Cetram »

:nod:

Was lucky enough to get my pre-ordered copy delivered on wednesday. I gotta say I was pretty impressed with this album, the last one was pretty hard to beat. I reckon this one sounds simular-ish to the last The Butterfly Effect album.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

i was going to say they fit into the Butterfly Effect or Tool type of sound. Great band, this is the first i have heard of the new album and it sounds good.
petey

Post by petey »

Yea theres a fair few moments on this album where I've thought it sounded Tool'ish.

After listening to the whole thing several times now I still love it. It's much more progressive, I prefer it that way. Although I don't know if thats going to get them too many more fans.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

awesome. Like woodsy I was unaware the album was coming out. Was only thinking not that long ago something was due. will grab it this week.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

This sounds pretty good - might have to give it a go me thinks. :yes:
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
petey

Post by petey »

It was/is featured on triple J this week, just happened to switch to the radio as I occasionally do for about 5 minutes and caught this song. Came as a surprise to me too. Although I was expecting it this year sometime.

Haha and in terms of 'tool' sound, theres a riff at 4:11 on Track 5 (Umbra). Hits me as instant tool guitar especially when coupled with the poly-rhythm type drums. Only for a brief moment though.

I'm finding that this is only heard in it's best through headphones, iPod ones work fine, just when played back on any large speaker system you miss out on all the extra bits in the background. Never quite known why that is tbh. Suppose it has something to do with the relative 'loudness' that our ears are hearing it, we get a better dynamic range when the speaker is mm from your head. Now I think I will go and see what I can dig up on this problem. :p (hi-jack much ? just talking to myself here its ok)
Dan
Wobbly2.0

Post by Dan »

When i first saw it on this thread I wasn't really into it... But it came up on Triple J yesterday... I was going to change the station but I kept it on. When you listen to the song without watching that stupid ARSE video, it's a good track :yes:
The Todd Norbury appreciation society
petey

Post by petey »

Haha funnily enough I was thinking the exact opposite. Find that it has more of an effect with the vision.