Working from home

Need a hand with a home project, how to fix that bloody roof leak, hang a door etc...
thornz

Working from home

Post by thornz »

Just after some advice from anyone who works for themselves or works part time from home after normal work etc. I am currently at the stage where, while I enjoy my job and it pays a reasonable wage, I want some extra cash so I can afford those luxury's in life. I don't plan on leaving my current job, but am keen to work from home after hours to try and get that extra bit of cream to enjoy the extra things in life etc. I'm under no illusions and know its gonna be hard work, but am keen to put in some hard yards while I'm younger to try get ahead in life so I can enjoy the future more.

Who here does something similiar? I have looked a range of things at the moment, and am starting to work on a couple to try my hand at them (affiliate marketing being one). But can anyone who is currently doing what I am wanting to do offer some advice, some suggestions on things to try etc? I know to stay away form anything that sounds to good to be true, have seen so many of those bullshit type of sites, and I know that theres no quick way to becoming wealthy.

I guess I am having a quarter life crisis, realising that I'm not exactly where I want to be in life, and if I sit on my arse and do nothing, I know I will look back in ten years or whatever and say "I should have done something years ago" etc etc.

All opinions welcome :D
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Re: Working from home

Post by DexterPunk »

i have heard learning how to trade the forex can be pretty profitable if you do your research properly.. theres some good training sites out there which arnt dodgy... and are up-front about how much it costs for their training. Mate of the family started out with a grand, and has made 20k in 6 months.... he put in a lot of hard yards to learn what he was doing, and traded with fake moneys for quite a while until he was confident. I have been thinking about learning it myself...

have a look at http://www.forexmentor.com/ site looks pretty dodgy, but its not... just porely made i think.

Not sure if its something you would be interested in or not.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

I quit my last job at the end of 2007 and I've been working from home for the past year and a half, but I'm not sure how my situation will relate. I currently have 3 income streams, 1) software development (being the majority) 2) computer technical support (not all of it is on-site) and 3) video transfers to DVD.

One question. Is the extra money really going to be worth it if you don't have any time to enjoy life and spend it?
thornz

Post by thornz »

DexterPunk wrote:i have heard learning how to trade the forex can be pretty profitable if you do your research properly.. theres some good training sites out there which arnt dodgy... and are up-front about how much it costs for their training. Mate of the family started out with a grand, and has made 20k in 6 months.... he put in a lot of hard yards to learn what he was doing, and traded with fake moneys for quite a while until he was confident. I have been thinking about learning it myself...

have a look at http://www.forexmentor.com/ site looks pretty dodgy, but its not... just porely made i think.

Yes, forex is one I have my eye on, but as you have suggested in your post, there's soo much shit out there promising overnight fortunes, that its hard to know it when sound advice smacks you in teh face. I will check out that site though, cheers.
thornz

Post by thornz »

AstrO wrote:I quit my last job at the end of 2007 and I've been working from home for the past year and a half, but I'm not sure how my situation will relate. I currently have 3 income streams, 1) software development (being the majority) 2) computer technical support (not all of it is on-site) and 3) video transfers to DVD.

One question. Is the extra money really going to be worth it if you don't have any time to enjoy life and spend it?
That question has popped into my head, but as it is now, during the weekdays I don't usually go out much, especially nows it winter where I got o work when its dark and cold, and get home when its dark and cold. So I am not to concerned about that for the monent. I generally piss about in front of the computer trolling forums as it is, so I thought I may as well try and make some use of my computer addiction :p
Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

I do pretty much what Astr0 does... software dev & some sales and support on the side.

It's good working from home, but takes discipline and not visiting forums, cleaning your desk, getting something to eat/drink every 5 mins etc.
It's saving me some money on travelling.
I'm working more hours than ever.

Sometimes good, sometimes bad. It's worth a try.
Luigi only likes Ferraris.
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

I work from home.
Make trophies, engrave stuff, print shirts, frame pictures, waste time on forums, iRacing, morning tea with the kiddies and wife, snooze, play with the dog, fix the cars, water the vegies, drink beer (after work), pick up kids from pre-school. . . wouldn't swap it for nuts. Good luck with it. I'll never work for a boss ever again. ;)
balls & boobs. . .
thornz

Post by thornz »

thornz wrote:
DexterPunk wrote:i have heard learning how to trade the forex can be pretty profitable if you do your research properly.. theres some good training sites out there which arnt dodgy... and are up-front about how much it costs for their training. Mate of the family started out with a grand, and has made 20k in 6 months.... he put in a lot of hard yards to learn what he was doing, and traded with fake moneys for quite a while until he was confident. I have been thinking about learning it myself...

Yes, forex is one I have my eye on, but as you have suggested in your post, there's soo much shit out there promising overnight fortunes, that its hard to know it when sound advice smacks you in teh face. I will check out that site though, cheers.
Well just further to this, I just found a brillaint site for learning about forex

http://www.babypips.com

It a full educational forex site that free. Bloody interestng reading so far, hell even i can understand it! :D
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

thornz wrote:
thornz wrote:

Well just further to this, I just found a brillaint site for learning about forex

http://www.babypips.com

It a full educational forex site that free. Bloody interestng reading so far, hell even i can understand it! :D
thanks for that link, i think ill start there to learn enough to understand some of the more involved training.