Running etc

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Running etc

Post by w00dsy »

it might as well have it's own thread. I finally got around to doing my first fun run yesterday. Being far from fit(still 111kg, down from 119kg about 2 months ago) all i wanted to do was run the 5km's without having to walk which i did. I did it in 34.50 and was 74th out of 340 in my age group(30-39). I didn't push too hard as it was pissing down at the beginning and shit loads of people around, i had no real idea how i'd go over that course. It's dead flat near home so i've never run on any inclines and this course had a few. The good bit was almost the whole last km was down hill. I averaged 6.58min/km and now as i start getting fitter i want to get that down under 6min/km. Next run i want to get under the 30min mark and start going from there. The winnder did it in 14.39 and was doing 2.55min/km, i can't even begin to imagine running that quick. I ended up with bleeding nipples from the wet shirt rubbing on them as i jogged, still hurting today :flash:
pab

Re: Running etc

Post by pab »

Bandaids on your nipples under your shirt (I'm serious, that'll stop them bleeding).

Well done on the run, once you get the bug you'll find the weight coming off and the times going down..

Yeah, the fast guys are really scary, we used to do a 4k time trial when I was younger and fitter, my best time was 13.15 and I was still getting lapped (on a 400m track) by the guys running under 12 minutes :eek: !
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

pab wrote:Bandaids on your nipples under your shirt (I'm serious, that'll stop them bleeding).
yeah i have since found out that is the trick. But i never had that issue when i was training, is it a wet weather only thing?
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

depends on if they chafe/rub
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
pab

Post by pab »

w00dsy wrote:
pab wrote:Bandaids on your nipples under your shirt (I'm serious, that'll stop them bleeding).
yeah i have since found out that is the trick. But i never had that issue when i was training, is it a wet weather only thing?
Can also be an issue if it's hot and you sweat a lot. It's basically more of a problem if you shirt/singlet is really wet because it makes the material heavier.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

I don't think I can ever run. Apart from the fact that my ankles are stuffed, I absolutely hate running. Hated it as a kid and hate it even more now. But I can see the value in it.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

I did my own 5km run on the weekend. Based on times I was doing a few months back, I thought I could do it in under 30 minutes. When I finished I look at my stop watch and it was 30:03! Fucker.

Well done Rod. You can have the running though. My knees were sore for 3 days.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

now i have the first 5km out of the way i'm aiming at better speed now. I went for a 2km run tonight much faster than my slow plod i have done in the past. If i can build up the distance i reckon i should be able to get under 30mins quite comfortably soon. Especially as i drop more weight.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

i found some great quotes about running

"It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit." - George Sheehan

"You have to forget your last marathon before you try another. Your mind can't know what's coming." - Frank Shorter

The only reason I would take up jogging is so that I could hear heavy breathing again. - Erma Bombeck

If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken Him completely by surprise. - P.Z. Pearce

"No doubt a brain and some shoes are essential for marathon success, although if it comes down to a choice, pick the shoes. More people finish marathons with no brains than with no shoes." - Don Kardong

"Hills are speedwork in disguise." - Frank Shorter

"Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must move faster than the lion or it will not survive. Every morning a lion wakes up and it knows it must move faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be moving." - Maurice Greene (attributed to Roger Bannister shortly after running the first sub-4 mile)
"Run like hell and get the agony over with." - Clarence DeMar
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

2 years ago I got in to running.. took me a long time to get over the shin splint pain, but eventually i was doing what i considered good times over 5kms. I took a big break and now I'm back to where i begun.. can't even walk fast without my shins caining and feet feeling like a hammer hits them with every stride. Yes i have good running shoes.

Might try start again and just stick to doing 2km runs.. i can deal with the pain over that distance
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

i used to get shin splints a few years ago but this time i've been fine.
Gizmo
forum fairy - in a gay way!
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Post by Gizmo »

Great news mate, and well done. Just remember, not every training run needs to be 100%. You will get most bennift from running at around 80% (for cardio). Depending on how long you've been training for now fartlek training can really help.

oh and 14:39 if f**king flying!