Jailbreaking iphone

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Re: Jailbreaking iphone

Post by DexterPunk »

Apple i believe have said they will be releasing a new one each year. Cant remember if it was June? or September that the 3Gs was released, one of those months they seem to do some big software updates, and the other a brand new iphone. Thinking about it, i think it was September they released the 3Gs, so id say Sept 2010 would be the next gen.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Yeah July was the 3GS, id expect another about then...
eek
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

ahhh yep
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Apple wouldn't have said anything about the next gen iPhone because of the Osborne effect.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Until it comes with a FM radio, something my last 3 Nokias have had, I doubt I will get one. I use the FM radio all the time and it is :bs: that a phone supposedly so advanced doesn't have this simple feature. I had my first place with an Android phone the other day and it seemed very nice. Be good to see them take it to Apple and get some market share. That said, when my contract is up in April I expect I will have another Nokia.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

FM radio must be important cause Nokia are so far behind on everything else its not funny... a "ball dropping" of gigantic proportions!

Id be suprised if I ever get one again!
eek
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Why bother with FM radio when you can pile 15-30GB of your own music and even movies onto your iphone anyway? Coupled with the fact that you HAVE to have your earphone things plugged in for the radio to even work. No such BS with the iphone...
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Well the headphones are the aerial so that's understandable....
eek
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

norbs wrote:Until it comes with a FM radio, something my last 3 Nokias have had, I doubt I will get one. I use the FM radio all the time and it is :bs: that a phone supposedly so advanced doesn't have this simple feature. I had my first place with an Android phone the other day and it seemed very nice. Be good to see them take it to Apple and get some market share. That said, when my contract is up in April I expect I will have another Nokia.

I listen to SEN, 3AW, and all the major FM stations on my iPhone... Fstream is a free app, and as simple as programing in the frequency of a car radio to put your stations in. Not only that, you can have overseas stations that play all sorts of music, even music specific ones if you want, or whatever... I don't see any reason for an FM radio when you can use Fstream.
norbs

Post by norbs »

DexterPunk wrote:
norbs wrote:Until it comes with a FM radio, something my last 3 Nokias have had, I doubt I will get one. I use the FM radio all the time and it is :bs: that a phone supposedly so advanced doesn't have this simple feature. I had my first place with an Android phone the other day and it seemed very nice. Be good to see them take it to Apple and get some market share. That said, when my contract is up in April I expect I will have another Nokia.

I listen to SEN, 3AW, and all the major FM stations on my iPhone... Fstream is a free app, and as simple as programing in the frequency of a car radio to put your stations in. Not only that, you can have overseas stations that play all sorts of music, even music specific ones if you want, or whatever... I don't see any reason for an FM radio when you can use Fstream.
So how do I listen to the cricket if I am out on the bike with that without getting smashed by data charges. Or any ABC radio when I am out on a road trip?

Given that the new iPods have FM radios I am expecting the next iPhones will to.
Montey

Post by Montey »

norbs wrote:So how do I listen to the cricket if I am out on the bike with that without getting smashed by data charges. Or any ABC radio when I am out on a road trip?
Take a radio.

$15 at Dick Smith

Features
- AM reception
- FM reception
- Built in speaker
- Earphone jack
- Sexy black case
- Shiny knobs that even a novice knob handler can handle
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
norbs

Post by norbs »

Montey wrote:
norbs wrote:So how do I listen to the cricket if I am out on the bike with that without getting smashed by data charges. Or any ABC radio when I am out on a road trip?
Take a radio.

$15 at Dick Smith

Features
- AM reception
- FM reception
- Built in speaker
- Earphone jack
- Sexy black case
- Shiny knobs that even a novice knob handler can handle

Apart from the AM reception, and the knobs, I can do all that already. :) Nokia N95.

Here is a question I got from a relo the other day, who is a proud iPhone user now thanks to Santa. He was using the MP3 player and wanted to use the GPS (he is a geo-cacher and was thinking he could replace his Garmin and iPod with the iPhone). He reckons he has to switch off the MP3 player to get access to the GPS. I know the iPhone doesnt multi task to well unless jail broken, but can't he do both things at the same time? I am not saying he can't, he just doesn't know how. And neither do I. Is there a way to switch between the GPS and MP3 player?
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Norbs its entirely up to the application to support the inbuilt features ie: iPod. So if the app is coded to take full control of the speaker then of course the iPod music will stop, if its coded correctly, the music will still play while using the other app. I tested starting a podcast then going into the Compass.app, the podcast kept on going. Hope that info helps.

As for FM radio in the iPhone. The 3GS and iPod Touch 3G already have FM receivers & transmitters built in, just disabled. The iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G only have FM radio receivers.
markus

Post by markus »

norbs wrote:
Montey wrote:
. He was using the MP3 player and wanted to use the GPS (he is a geo-cacher and was thinking he could replace his Garmin and iPod with the iPhone). He reckons he has to switch off the MP3 player to get access to the GPS. I know the iPhone doesnt multi task to well unless jail broken, but can't he do both things at the same time? I am not saying he can't, he just doesn't know how. And neither do I. Is there a way to switch between the GPS and MP3 player?
You can use GPS and listen to MP3 just fine - at least if your GPS program is Navigon.
Much cycling such kilometers.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Norbs regarding the radio... All iPhone carriers as far as I can tell, come with data packages. I have 750mb a month to use... Which I barely seem to use half of. Streaming radio seems to use barely any data anyway.... It's not like your streaming YouTube all day.

Gps should work with music playing... Maybe not the Tom Tom app, from reviews around the net, and the app store it seems to get the worst reviews out of the Navigation apps.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

I get 1gb a month and struggle to use 250mb... I think its because vodafone is unmetered for facebook till the 31st which i use a bit. Plus using netbank which obviously uses little data. Other than that everynow and then whip it out to settle arguments through use of google :D
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I've used 30% of my data... Only a few days left.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

i've unjailbroken mine for the time being. Until they make it so it doesn't need a tethered boot i will leave it as is. I'm too afraid i'll run out of battery away from home and won't be able to turn it back on again.