Desk strengthening

Need a hand with a home project, how to fix that bloody roof leak, hang a door etc...
Scottie

Desk strengthening

Post by Scottie »

Hi all,

I've been a bit quiet lately as Dad and I have just moved. During the move I've upgraded a few things... new steering wheel, TV-for-a-PC-screen, new desk to put it on, etc. I have come across a problem though... my desk wobbles. It's one of the cheaper models but it does all I need.

It is an assemble-yourself kind, so has dowel joints to accompany connector screw things to secure the pieces together.
My last desk was made by myself with heavier wood (MDF or pine or something) in 2002, dowels/wedges and glue securing the parts together, but far too big and had a PC cubby-hole which became impractical. Rock solid!

I like the new desk, but am concerned that the clue alone will not be enough to secure this if it's simply down to weight. How else might I be able to get my desk more solid? Or is it a case of spending a bit more for a different type of wood for more security.

It's really effecting my confidence behind the wheel online and need to sort it to get some confidence back!

Scottie.
Dan
Wobbly2.0

Re: Desk strengthening

Post by Dan »

I may be able to help... I do office fit outs for a living.

What’s it made of? How thick is it?

If it’s like 18mm thick pine. Try putting some L brackets into all the spots that take the most weight like under the top right up against the leg, 2 on each side maybe. It's hard to say without knowing what you have, pics?
The Todd Norbury appreciation society
Cutter
Legend in his own lunchtime
Legend in his own lunchtime

Post by Cutter »

If you dont care to much what it looks like.
X brace the back and side legs, just use some flat wood (some "porta" edging from Bunnings say 1cm x 2 cm)
get some small nuts/bolts/washers (long enough to go through the legs with a bit to spare)
drill some holes and run precut timber braces with holes drilled in from top left to bottom right and another bit top right to bottom left

that should make the base stable, then look at the joints between the base and the table top, the various angle brackets and L brackets that Dan suggests would do the trick.
Cutter ~ Carl Rickard

Scottie

Post by Scottie »

Here's a pic of it...

must admit I didn't think it'd move... and since I got the TV, it moves less... but when the car gets light at turn in, and I need to put in some quick and (hopefully) accurate inputs, the small monitor still wobbles like a 4.7 quake.

The L brackets may work, but I think it's just a bit of weight that might be needed... :(

oh, and the wood is like, 28mm thick.

maybe I just need to be lighter on the steering?!
Dan
Wobbly2.0

Post by Dan »

Are all the cams on the modesty panel locked? If they are try putting a long screw through each leg into the modesty panel... The desk looks pretty solid, I don’t see how it could wobble. Where did you get it from?
The Todd Norbury appreciation society
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

hardly normal...

picking it up it feels solid enough. I didn't get round to gluing it last night, probably do it over the weekend... It should help. I turned down the FF on the wheel in a skippy prac session, it helped too.

maybe some adjustment on my part is required!

and yes, will work on the modesty panel, lol...
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

I'd go with a couple of l ittle L brackets... You won't notice them, they're cheap and easy to install, and your desk will be ROCK solid after it. We just did our shaky coffee table which is of similar wood and it's very rigid now.

Or maybe the whole thing is simply too light, and rigidity isn't the problem?
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]