Wish you were here...

Chat about stuff you listen to or play
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Wish you were here...

Post by smithcorp »

Just listened to this Pink Floyd tune for the first time in a long time - what an awesome song!
somebloke

Post by somebloke »

Ah, was a bit worried this was going to be The BeeGees one :p
Sam_I_Am

Post by Sam_I_Am »

I just had to fire this up. Ahhhhhhhh

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl. Year after year.

I was once in a car wreck as a passenger that wrote the car off and had a good effort at killing the bridge as well. I went and bought a bottle of whiskey. Went home and put The Final Cut on. Theres a line in one of the songs "like the moments when the brakes lock and you slide towards the big drop"

Brilliant
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

My fav song to play on the guitar, love that start bit the most.
pogo

Post by pogo »

Bleh, 2nd most over-covered song ever :p
Barge

Post by Barge »

You guys listen to the whole album of course? The first 10 minutes of that album are so damn cool.
Got me a CD copy of their next album..Animals..heard it? Great stuff :nod:
But then, i have re-discovered Pink Floyd. When i was learning the guitar, I went though phases of getting every thing certain guitarists ever did. So I have a huge PinkFloyd collection on tape and vinyl. Just this last few months I've got backinto it again, ever since seeing a Syd Barret doco in ABC. Finding it hard to track down some of the rarer ones on CD.

Anyone ever listen to Pink Floyds first album? Piper at the Gates of Dawn...? That challenges even the most open minded of tastes.. :yikes:
steve_w05

Post by steve_w05 »

Pink Floyd rocks. the start of that album, as said above is outstanding.
one other album which is good to listen to is Mike Oldfields "Tubular Bells"
pogo

Post by pogo »

Barge wrote:...ever since seeing a Syd Barret doco in ABC...
Yeah, I saw that too, really interesting. I find with the Barret stuff, I don't usually enjoy it when I first listen to it, but coming back months or years later I quite like it.

Fav Floyd albums: DSOTM and Animals. Definitely a Waters man.
breakneck

Post by breakneck »

mmmmm, mid career Floyd. Awesome stuff :)

Atom heart mother, meddle, DSOTM, wish you were here and animals.

And Gilmore is my hero ;) I think you already knew that Goop :) Though in all fairness, the best of the Floyd's work was done when they were actually working together (Gilmore and Waters). i.e. the albums I listed.

Oh and the Barret stuff is quite good, though I find it hard to classify it as the Pink Floyd I love.. It's just so.. different.
pogo

Post by pogo »

Yeah, I knew that break :) I admire Gilmour musically, but side with Roger hehe

Heh, just remembered - they got together for the live-8 thingie, right? Was bad blood, guess it's all Waters under the bridge now eh? :D
breakneck

Post by breakneck »

rofl, nice one :rolleyes:

Yeah, I watched that one. It was a pretty good set from the old timers. And Waters looked by far the most emotional about the whole thing. Maybe he's starting to feel sorry for being a di<k. ;)

And as for me, I admire Roger lyrically, but side with David. teehee
Barge

Post by Barge »

Waters seemed to be the driving force after Dark Side. But he's a bitter cynical old bugger.
Anyone heard his solo stuff? Radio Chaos was chaos. Pro and Cons of Hitchhiking is a beauty, with lashings of sublime guitar work by Eric Clapton, and Amused to Death is so damn depressing i loved it. Jeff Beck played on that one....he's an alien guitarist..
The stuff the rest of them did without Waters seemed so tame and cliched to me.
Was watching Live at Pompeii DVD the other day :nod: Roger Waters is like some psycho animal when they do "Careful with that Axe, Eugene". Nice live version of "Echoes" on that DVD...