Dry Wall help

Need a hand with a home project, how to fix that bloody roof leak, hang a door etc...
c.j
Midget Wanker

Dry Wall help

Post by c.j »

My daughter decided to rip the toilet roll holder out of the wall.

I have patched the hole, sanded and repainted... you'd never know.

I have all the necessary bit to put it back in the wall but I need to know whether I need to drill a pilot hole before I screw the dry wall screws in. They have a sharp point and look like a tec screw at the end but I am not sure if it will slip etc?

Anyone with any tips please post.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Re: Dry Wall help

Post by r8response »

If your going straight into Gyprock you'll need something more than just a screw. It'll hold for a while but will eventually start to wear away at the anchor point.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

these are specifically for dry wall gyprock. then the normal screws going into these plastic dry wall plugs. I just need to know whether I need to drill a pilot hole to get it going, i dont want the plugs to rip the wall apart.

although I have heaps of filler and paint if I botch it. lol

;)
Montey

Post by Montey »

The trick I once saw was to glue a couple of pieces plasterboard (dry wall) inside the hole, glued against the back of the unaffected wall... ala...

Code: Select all

____    ____
``````        ``````
and once this has set, you can then glue a patch piece in to the hole using the scraps you already glued as surfaces to glue the patch against. You can then just use some standard filler to fill in the edges between the patch and the unaffected wall, sand and paint.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Done,

The plastic dry wall screws didnt lift the paint and went straight in. I was worried because the thread on them is so big it would lift the paint away from the wall. I knew where the stud was so I didnt have to worry about hitting that but I didnt want the wall to warp. It is alot softer than I imagined.

Anyway its up and sturdy as date roll holder should be. And i moved it higher so little hands can't reach it.

Cheers for the posts lads.

;)
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

I assume you used those massive white plugs that look like screws?

If so, i just get my screw driver and smack that into the wall. Works perfectly everytime
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

Speaking of toilet walls. A few months back I was really drunk (hardly stand) and whilst entering the toilet to piss, I fell and left a fist mark in the wall. Better fix that I guess. :)
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Rots wrote:Speaking of toilet walls. A few months back I was really drunk (hardly stand) and whilst entering the toilet to piss, I fell and left a fist mark in the wall. Better fix that I guess. :)
:rofl: :clap: :bigthumb: :hihi: :lmao:

That's a classic.. I bet the wife was impressed!
eek
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

r8response wrote:I assume you used those massive white plugs that look like screws?

If so, i just get my screw driver and smack that into the wall. Works perfectly everytime
They're called wall mates (They come in all shapes and sizes, metal and plastic), and yeah, a screw driver "pilot hole" always makes it easy.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]