Running

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
Gizmo
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Running

Post by Gizmo »

Seeing as cycling has it's own thread i thought it would be unfair if running didn't have one too.

I got myself a Nike Plus (http://www.nikeplus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) running thing. It's a wristband you wear and a sensor in your Nike shoe (it's also compatible with the iPod) It will tell you the distance you've ran, your time, your pace per km and how many calories burnt. You then upload it onto the Nike Plus website and keep track of your running. It's actually pretty cool.

It will be a pretty good motivational tool also. You can set yourself goals, join running groups and compete in competitions.

I highly recommend getting one.

I know woodys used to do some running.....are you still keeping it up?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Re: Running

Post by DexterPunk »

I bought some Nike Lunar trainers.... they are meant to have some Nike + iPod thing, and so is my iPhone... I think i need some sensor or something, theres meant to be some compartment in the shoe for it or something, but i cant find it.
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

DexterPunk wrote:I bought some Nike Lunar trainers.... they are meant to have some Nike + iPod thing, and so is my iPhone... I think i need some sensor or something, theres meant to be some compartment in the shoe for it or something, but i cant find it.
Nice shoe. They are the best shoe i've run in! Great for racing but i use something with alittle more support for training. As for the compartment, take out the left inner sole. It should slip right out. I think the sensor should be about $40-$50.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Thanks Giz I'll have a squiz!

lol I crack myself up! :D

they seem good to run in, they are light anyway.
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Yep, they are great. Inside the sole of the shoe is a special foam that molds to your foot. It reduces the shock when you run. It's ment to knock 3 minutes of a marathon. When i've got a couple of "Runs on the board" (hehehe) I'll post them on arse.....
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

And it's intergrated into facebook!
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

DexterPunk wrote:I bought some Nike Lunar trainers.... they are meant to have some Nike + iPod thing, and so is my iPhone... I think i need some sensor or something, theres meant to be some compartment in the shoe for it or something, but i cant find it.
Since you have an iphone, just grab the imapmyrun app. Its free, and it tracks your distance pace with the GPS. Pretty cool! It even gives you feed back as you are running on how your current pace per km is and other things.

I think the shoe thing would be horribly inaccurate.. it just guesses your distance/speed based on your steps
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

fork out $12.99 and get the Runkeeper app. It works for running, cycling, walking, swimming (if you have a waterproof cover) and all sorts. I love the thing, well worth it. With live tracking now too. Me, Rod and Norbs all use it and you can track each others progress too as well as mapping your trecks and with google earth support too. Also tracks elevation and can for an extra $20approx a year you can get fitness reports sent to you as well.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

meanwhile viewtopic.php?f=26&t=13266" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

its only a few threads down, and you even posted in it Giz.. lol
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

How much do the shoes cost gizmo? I run with my ipod nano, iphone way to bulky for long distance. Might need some new shoes soon as well - so this would be an option.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I bought mine for about $180 i believe, but im sure you could find them cheaper if you shopped around.

they are def a running shoe, they breath so well that if you wear them on a coolish day/night and your not running.. your feet get a bit cold. And while they arnt the lightest running shoe around, they arnt far off. They are super light.

I actually bought them because I wanted some running shoes that didnt look fucking ridiculous.. most of them have stripes and colours all over the damn things. These at least looked simple/cool. They come in quite a lot of colour variations.. But I liked the simple black and white ones.
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Sambo wrote:How much do the shoes cost gizmo? I run with my ipod nano, iphone way to bulky for long distance. Might need some new shoes soon as well - so this would be an option.
The shoes dex has (Lunar Trainers) are one of the best running shoes around. They are half way in between and race and training shoe. I wouldn't wear them on every run because they don't have quite the same support as a Vomero for instance. I only wore mine in races and tempo runs.

Vomero's are a GREAT training shoe. Heaps of support and last a heap of miles. They are around $220. A Vomero or Lunar Trainer and you can't go wrong :)

P.S. Stay away from they Nike Free. They simulate bare foot running and are really only ment to be worn for one run a week....
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

Hz-Lab wrote:fork out $12.99 and get the Runkeeper app. It works for running, cycling, walking, swimming (if you have a waterproof cover) and all sorts. I love the thing, well worth it. With live tracking now too. Me, Rod and Norbs all use it and you can track each others progress too as well as mapping your trecks and with google earth support too. Also tracks elevation and can for an extra $20approx a year you can get fitness reports sent to you as well.
I just downloaded the free version and went for a jog - The app is awesome!

My username is http://runkeeper.com/user/martinpietsch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , add me to your "streetteam".

What are the benefits of the full app? I might see if I can keep up the jogging for a few weeks, then I'll grab the full app.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I bought it a while back, but havnt really done much running lately.. Most was during winter and I was running on treadmill we have, which isnt hugely useful for GPS tracking hahah.
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

DexterPunk wrote:I bought it a while back, but havnt really done much running lately.. Most was during winter and I was running on treadmill we have, which isnt hugely useful for GPS tracking hahah.
Hopefully my enthusiasm doesn't wear off :lol:

Are you jogging much with your new shoes? Do you take your iphone with you?

Can anyone recommend a good (cheap!) arm band holder?
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

plastik8 wrote:
DexterPunk wrote:I bought it a while back, but havnt really done much running lately.. Most was during winter and I was running on treadmill we have, which isnt hugely useful for GPS tracking hahah.

Enthusiasm is still there to exercise, but im doing much more swimming instead of running. I havn't taken my iPhone running as yet, but i plan to. Ive been doing about 6km of swimming a week (this week I havnt due to easter, but will get back into it soon). The shoes are a joy to run in, so im sure ill go for some runs, but I see it as more of a once a week thing since im swimming a fair bit. Maybe the run keeper thing will inspire me to get out there more often.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

plastik8 wrote:

I just grabbed a cheapo off ebay.. works fine :yes:

I barely run these days as I get painful shin splints everytime, and really sore feet too. I have good (read: expensive) brookes running shoes.. so I'm probably just weak :) If i stick to 3km or less then I can put up with it
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

Gizmo wrote:
Sambo wrote:How much do the shoes cost gizmo? I run with my ipod nano, iphone way to bulky for long distance. Might need some new shoes soon as well - so this would be an option.
The shoes dex has (Lunar Trainers) are one of the best running shoes around. They are half way in between and race and training shoe. I wouldn't wear them on every run because they don't have quite the same support as a Vomero for instance. I only wore mine in races and tempo runs.

Vomero's are a GREAT training shoe. Heaps of support and last a heap of miles. They are around $220. A Vomero or Lunar Trainer and you can't go wrong :)

P.S. Stay away from they Nike Free. They simulate bare foot running and are really only ment to be worn for one run a week....
Wicked, thanks for the advice Giz and dex. Ill be paying athletes foot a visit soon. Thanks guys!
pab

Post by pab »

Sambo wrote:Wicked, thanks for the advice Giz and dex. Ill be paying athletes foot a visit soon. Thanks guys!
Sambo, Joggers World in Pirie Street is the place to go for people from around our parts, very good prices, and knowledgeable staff (most of them are very good runners themselves).
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

pab wrote:
Sambo wrote:Wicked, thanks for the advice Giz and dex. Ill be paying athletes foot a visit soon. Thanks guys!
Sambo, Joggers World in Pirie Street is the place to go for people from around our parts, very good prices, and knowledgeable staff (most of them are very good runners themselves).
Ok dokkie thanks for that pab!
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

plastik8 wrote:
Hz-Lab wrote:fork out $12.99 and get the Runkeeper app. It works for running, cycling, walking, swimming (if you have a waterproof cover) and all sorts. I love the thing, well worth it. With live tracking now too. Me, Rod and Norbs all use it and you can track each others progress too as well as mapping your trecks and with google earth support too. Also tracks elevation and can for an extra $20approx a year you can get fitness reports sent to you as well.
I just downloaded the free version and went for a jog - The app is awesome!

My username is http://runkeeper.com/user/martinpietsch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , add me to your "streetteam".

What are the benefits of the full app? I might see if I can keep up the jogging for a few weeks, then I'll grab the full app.
more data really. they Just released version 2.2 today as well. So now you can set goals and PB's as a target and the app will keep you informed of how far ahead or behind the target you are. Awesome addition.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

Hz-Lab wrote: more data really. they Just released version 2.2 today as well. So now you can set goals and PB's as a target and the app will keep you informed of how far ahead or behind the target you are. Awesome addition.
I've been asking my programming mates to make something like that for ages. Like a mario kart ghost, but for running - and obviously audio feedback instead of an actual ghost running in front of you :nod:

Should I get back into running, I might have to grab that