Vid Editing

Need a hand with a home project, how to fix that bloody roof leak, hang a door etc...
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Vid Editing

Post by Hz-Lab »

What I want to do is simply split a video into smaller video's. Let's say I have recorded a heap of video clips in one go, I now need to split them in to their individual clips to run in a Video Jukebox. Now I know how to do it in programs Like Vegas and what not, in which case you need to edit the footage, then re-render.

the question is, Is there a program to do this easier and quicker? for instance, load up the video, select a heap of splits in the timeline and WHAM!, it'll render them all in one hit.

is that possible?
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Re: Vid Editing

Post by Sambo »

Depending on the file container you could use Virtual Dub if it is AVI. http://www.virtualdub.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
petey

Post by petey »

Hmmm, you would expect someone would have written a script for this at some point, however it would depend on the file format you are using as sambo suggested.

I'm no expert on filetypes but because each file format stores it's time information in a different way(I guess) that would be the issue (if someone has written a script is it the right file format).

So one assumes your suggesting the scale of clips you want to edit is too many to be assed doing each seperately in Vegas ? Or your just a lazy sod. :p

Basic answer is no. If you could select multiple sections to render in vegas then you could but I don't believe you can. If you use umm, premiere I believe the rendering queue it uses may help you. But you'll still be editing each clip seperately (you will just be able to edit heaps and add them to the queue to render).
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

98% of them are avi's, and I would have some 2000 vid clips to do
petey

Post by petey »

Right, 2000 is a little too many to do one by one.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

I think I'm a little confused about what you want to do. Do you want to convert those 2000 clips into something else, or do you want to create more clips from the 2000?

Just re read your op. You can definetely do that in AVID, but that's probably not much use to you. There is a 30 day trial available, I could walk you through it if you want. Basically you just create a bunch of subclips and then highlight them all and export them as individual clips. It's a super simple process.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

yeah I basically have a heap of video clips recorded from the Telly, and I just want to make them into separate files. So Let's say I recorded 2 hours of Rage, about 30 odd songs, I just want to cut those 30 songs in to separate files.

I'll give Avid a look. Most vid editing software is pretty intuitive and along the lines of Audio software, so hopefully I should have a bit of a clue anyway. If not, expect a PM.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

if you don't mind having wmv's then just use Windows Movie Maker. It's simple and effective.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

I don't think Windows Movie Maker will be able to do what he want to do though right?
petey

Post by petey »

Don't think it will know.

The main thing he wants is to be able to select multiple regions to render from a project I believe.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

For recorded TV VideoReDo is da BOMB...

http://www.videoredo.com/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
eek
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

yep, spot on. then store them all on a hard drive so that they can be selected to play at will by some video jukebox player software. no different than like a mp3 player.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

ah sweet pix, that looks like what I want. Just need to do a quick bit of research now.