the physical benefits

CyclARSEts talk in here.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

the physical benefits

Post by w00dsy »

i'm sure this is one of our main motivations, the positive effect cycling has on our bodies and minds. About 2 years back i hit 119kg's which is the heaviest i've ever been, then did some running and got down to 112kg for a 12km run in Nov last year. But running was too hard on my poor old fat body, but i've always enjoyed the bike. So since i got serious about cycling at the start of the year my weight has now dropped to 106kg. I've been over 100kg's for the past 10 years since i broke my leg(cycling ironically) and i've tried all sorts of different things to drop below 100kg's but nothing has been enjoyable enough to continue with and i've hovered a bit over the 110kg mark for years. But fingers crossed i manage it in the next few months. I'm certainly loving going for a ride so i think i'll be able to maintain it. If the day comes, fingers crossed, that i see 99kg on the scales you'll probably all hear my scream no matter where you are.

I also find it has a huge effect on my state of mind. I don't have emotional lows like i used to, I don't feel guilty if i have something naughty to eat and i generally feel much better about myself. I get up in the morning a lot fresher too. So far i can't see any negative side effects or cycling. And it's giving my lower arms and legs a nice tan, pity the rest of me is still white.
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Re: the physical benefits

Post by Sambo »

Well done mate that is fantastic! Keep up the good work!
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

It is the reason I managed to drop the best part of 14kegs from late 2009 to late last year. I have put some back on, but I am pretty sure some of that is muscle. I am 9cm less around the guts and nearly 4cm more around the thighs. I am back at 95kgs, but am determined to get to 89 some time in the future.

As you guys know, the bike is buggered for the time being, and I cant get a new wheel built up til next week, so no riding for me til then. It is a bit frustrating, so much so that I had a crack at turning old Holly (the bike I rode to Melbourne on) into a single speed. I spent an hour this arvo trying to get the chain to match the old cogs, with out luck. Will try again tomorrow me thinks.

A couple of big rides and you'll be in front of me Rod. :)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Sambo wrote:Well done mate that is fantastic! Keep up the good work!

well i figure your new car might be smaller than the Vee, so i have to drop some kegs to be able to get stuck in it :D
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Nothing like a good work out.. having the endorphin rush. Do you find that you sleep better now?
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

a little bit yeah, i hadn't noticed it until you mentioned it. But yeah i don't seem to wake up as much as i normally would. That might be why i wake up fresher.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

w00dsy wrote: I also find it has a huge effect on my state of mind. I don't have emotional lows like i used to
+1
I've noticed recently just how much of an effect cycling has on my state of mind without me even realising it.

Work recently moved and simultaneously decided to screw over cyclists in the office by not providing (as promised) secure bike parking.. so i haven't been able to cycle into work as i have done for the last few year. I can feel myself getting depressed as time goes on. Heading out for a bike ride in the morning before getting ready for work seems to solve that albeit temporarily..

Fortunately i've got some bike parking lined up so i think i should be able to start cycling into work by the middle of this month! :vibes:
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Where's your work at? My missus's work on Flinders has a pretty big Bike storage area, and it hardly get's used. If your little deal falls through, I might be able to tee something up for you there, if it's close enough.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

oh and yeah, I find it helps my state of mind too, Always stress free after a ride, makes you feel like you have achieved something. I haven't lost a heap of weight really, I dropped 10kg early in the piece, but since then I have just sat at the low 100kg area, I want to get down to 90 so I have now started mild dieting too. Regardless of weight loss though I am a shiteload fitter than I have been in a good 10 years, and a lot fitter than I ever thought I would be again.
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

w00dsy wrote:

well i figure your new car might be smaller than the Vee, so i have to drop some kegs to be able to get stuck in it :D
his new car is bigger than a bus..... you could stack on heaps of beef, and still fit. :)
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Well done woodsy, hope you keep at it mate!! There's no greater feeling than successfully losing weight, more than likely because it's so hard :)
w00dsy

the physical benefits

Post by w00dsy »

bengatta wrote:
w00dsy wrote:

his new car is bigger than a bus..... you could stack on heaps of beef, and still fit. :)
Did Paul Morris own it?
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

sco-tie doesn't have a scale here, and you guys got me interested how I'm doin. I don't need to loose weight, but I used to be around 70kg's. I'd expect to put more weight on with (maybe) a bit more muscle.

Great to hear it help your state of mind woodsy! and everybody else for that matter!
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

Well done Woodsy , top stuff :yes: . Hope you smash the 100kg mark :nod: . One of the good things about cycling and swimming for that matter is that you can keep on doing them when you get older without too many injuries .
"There is a grey blur and green blur . I try to stay on the grey one...." Joey Dunlop IoM TT Legend

"You work for the line.. you own the line .. you defend that hard fought line." Steer
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

mrleisure wrote:Well done Woodsy , top stuff :yes: . Hope you smash the 100kg mark :nod: . One of the good things about cycling and swimming for that matter is that you can keep on doing them when you get older without too many injuries .

You have to do them both sensibly. MTBs and body surfing can really stuff you up. :)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.