private message for norbs

ARSE's photographers and arts forum
markus

Post by markus »

Since I'm apparently the only strobist to stumble upon your blog and I don't have a wordpress account to comment there, here's an answer to your help cry.

Move her further away from the walls and turn the flash power down a notch or two (it's now reflecting and bleeding into the back of her head and cheeks)(if you can't seem to find a way to control the flash power, put a couple of A4 papers or coffee filters or whatnot in front of it)
Much cycling such kilometers.
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Re: private message for norbs

Post by Sambo »

You know there is a PM feature on this forum? That little PM icon below someones Avatar. :D
markus

Post by markus »

Sambo wrote:You know there is a PM feature on this forum? That little PM icon below someones Avatar. :D
Of course I do. :rolleyes:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I'll add my 2c after checking out your blog norbs.. Those light globes are going to be really tricky to shoot with.. they are a small source and always going to give a harsh look to the subject. if you're going to use them, you are going to have to diffuse them (didn't mean to rhyme there). Grab yourself some large sheets of tracing paper from an art supply shop.. the bigger the better (A2 minimum really). And then give some distance between the light sources and the paper.. this turns the paper into large softboxes so to speak. A light behind the subject is ok, but really you want to have it as a 'hair light' or 'rim light'. Same thing. Its used to give the edge of the hair a little bit of a glow. Its usually placed up high, and from behind. If a light is placed on the floor, and behind, its usually to light the background. Your flash is doing that in your image, but its far too bright. Since you are using the corner of a room (it looks that way?) you will be bouncing all that light onto the cheeks of your subject.

Basic portraiture is usually a 'key light' or 'main light' which is off axis to the camera (at almost a right angle to the side of the face). This one is the brightest.. hence the names. Then you have a fill flash on axis (as close to the lens as possible). This is much less intense, and mainly used to fill the shadow on the other side of the face.. but you get a difference in illumination on the two sides. This is called a 'split lighting' and you could google it for some diagrams. The hair light, and background lights mentioned before are simply 'effects lights' and not really necessary. In fact you could do exactly as i mentioned (split lighting) before without the second flash for a fill light, and just use a bounce card instead (anything big and white). Either way, you need to diffuse your light source(s).

I highly highly highly highly recommend a book called 'Light science and magic'. It's brilliant.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Norbs,

I've managed to get most of those sexy videos you asked for. I couldn't get the one with the donkey because it's illegal in most countries. I've gotta say I'm a little uneasy about getting this stuff for you as it makes me sick, so this'll have to be the last time.

Regards,
Durbs
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

markus wrote:
Sambo wrote:You know there is a PM feature on this forum? That little PM icon below someones Avatar. :D
Just trying to help man :)
markus

Post by markus »

Sambo wrote:
markus wrote:
Just trying to help man :)
No worries.
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

durbster wrote:Norbs,

I've managed to get most of those sexy videos you asked for. I couldn't get the one with the donkey because it's illegal in most countries. I've gotta say I'm a little uneasy about getting this stuff for you as it makes me sick, so this'll have to be the last time.

Regards,
Durbs
I lucked out with the dog and the horse... hope you got that as well Durbs.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

markus wrote:Since I'm apparently the only strobist to stumble upon your blog and I don't have a wordpress account to comment there, here's an answer to your help cry.

Move her further away from the walls and turn the flash power down a notch or two (it's now reflecting and bleeding into the back of her head and cheeks)(if you can't seem to find a way to control the flash power, put a couple of A4 papers or coffee filters or whatnot in front of it)

Thanks Markus. :)

Have got loads to learn.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

durbster wrote:Norbs,

Regards,
Durbs

Durbster, I heard about your ability to access certain videos and was wondering if you can help me track down My Squirteeth Birthday Dirt Pipe Milkshake Cake Farts #12. Please keep this just between you and I as I wouldn't want the guys on the forum to get the wrong idea about me.

Thanks, w00dsy.

P.S. I was actually Schuey and just did it all for fun.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

w00dsy wrote:P.S. I was actually Schuey and just did it all for fun.
lolz :yes: