Paris Roubaix 2011

CyclARSEts talk in here.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Paris Roubaix 2011

Post by norbs »

The people who have an interest in cycling will know all about it, but for those who don't, this is one race worth watching.

It is not a stage race like the Tour de France or Giro d'Italia. It is a one day race that has been raced since 1896. It is one of the spring classics, or Monuments. Known as the Hell of the North, it is usually over 260kms long and riders ride over 28 cobbled sections that have become famous in cycling history.

Tomorrow night, Wednesday April 6, SBS are showing the 1 hour documentary called The Hell of the North. Based on the 2007 race, it was the first time an Aussie has won it. Stuart O'Grady's brilliant win is covered with behind the scenes footage and comments from Cancellara, Ligget Sherwin and Haussler. It is an excellent video. A Sunday in Hell is another great video.

SBS will be covering the race live this year from 10:20 on Sunday night. I just hope it is more coverage than the 60 odd kms we got of the Flanders last Sunday night.

More info on the race here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_roubaix" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Part of the paved section. Imagine trying to race over this on 23mm tyres. :)

Carnage is one of the things you usually see plenty of.

And mud!

And a couple of videos.

[youtube] [/youtube]

Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
mrleisure

Re: Paris Roubaix 2011

Post by mrleisure »

Thanks norbs :yes: . I wasn't aware that the doco was on and I havn't seen it yet :) , will be watching for sure .
"There is a grey blur and green blur . I try to stay on the grey one...." Joey Dunlop IoM TT Legend

"You work for the line.. you own the line .. you defend that hard fought line." Steer
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Look at you norbs, "Mr Cycling Connoisseur ". A few years ago you had no idea what a race like this meant but not anymore. :lol:
Last year iirc SBS covered the last 100 odd km's & from memory it started roughly the same time, they at least got the coverage started just before they hit the Arenberg cobbles.Not only do the race over those cobbles but they hit them fullspeed (60-70km/hr) jostling for the front safer positions.

by the way I have to try back up from racing the Baw Baw Classic that day but it's pretty easy to stay awake watching a race like this, the hardest bit will be waiting till 10:20pm... :yawn:

Just thought maybe a few of you guys aren't aware but there are 2 great websites if you looking for live webfeeds before SBS starts.
They cover lots of the Pro races all throughout the season.
http://www.cyclingfans.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.steephill.tv/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
norbs

Post by norbs »

Flinty72 wrote:Look at you norbs, "Mr Cycling Connoisseur ". A few years ago you had no idea what a race like this meant but not anymore. :lol:

:lol: :lol: Actually, 20 years ago a couple of blokes I worked with and I used to talk about cycling all the time. We would buy all the cycling magazines and read the results there. It was before the interwebs. I lost interest when I stopped working with them and had no one to talk to about cycling. Now with all you blokes and the ACF to look at, and live coverage, I am back into it.

It was funny the other day when we were yakking on the phone about Chavenel, and I was calling him Chavel. One of the guys I used to work with was a French bloke, and had cycled a lot of the TdF cols and had raced in Belgium. He used to bag the shit out of me back then the way I pronounced and generally fuck up all the European names. Even a lot of the cycling terms I "Aussie-fied" as he used to call it. He reckons no one can butcher French words better than Aussies. I must look the old bastard up now that I think about it.

And yep, cyclingfans.com is a great site. I will be watching the start of the race on Eurosports or something similar. I have Monday off RDO, so bring it on!

Forgot to add, here is a good guide to all the spring classics.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/springclassics2011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

I was just flicking through a few photos of prevoius race when I found this pic of Bradley Wiggins after the finnish , not sure what year though . I can't believe how thin and fatigued he looks :eyepop: :eyepop: .
Reserved photo , a link will have to do . " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"There is a grey blur and green blur . I try to stay on the grey one...." Joey Dunlop IoM TT Legend

"You work for the line.. you own the line .. you defend that hard fought line." Steer
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

that was from 2009, he looks terrible.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Live streaming.

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/livestream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SBS in 20 minutes
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Boonen has blown it again!

See that team car drive up onto the footpath just before Milonfosse?!?!?
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
norbs

Post by norbs »

J.D. wrote:Boonen has blown it again!

See that team car drive up onto the footpath just before Milonfosse?!?!?

Yep, last year he virtually stopped for smoko. This year he expected Cancellara to tow him to Roubaix.

Terrific race again. 2nd roughy in a week to get up.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

My God, what a race. Well done Vansummeren

Gotta dip my lid to Cancellara. He's still the most exciting rider out there. How did he do it with no help. He didn't have any team mates at the pointy end and Ballan and Hushovd just didn't seem to care.

Everyone expected a tow from Cancellara. I don't blame him for kicking them off the back wheel.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

I was telling norbs about these 2 photo's but couldn't track them down till now.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
norbs

Post by norbs »

Good write up here.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/04/ ... ine_168618" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;