Insurance question

Need a hand with a home project, how to fix that bloody roof leak, hang a door etc...
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Insurance question

Post by DexterPunk »

Well perhaps not insurance... My car insurance won't cover any of my personal belongings that were damaged or broken in my accident, which includes the following.

iPhone screen damaged.
GPS cradle and charger broken
Watch broken
Sunnies broken (I assume they were, they were in a compartment that couldn't be accessed after the crash)
Head unit and 2 after market speakers broken (don't expect to get these replaced, i should have listed these on my insurance, they were new and never got around to it).

They are only small items I guess, but it seems wrong that I simply have to lose these items from a crash that was in no way my fault. Does anyone know what you're meant to do in this situation?
pixelboy

Re: Insurance question

Post by pixelboy »

Chase the person who ran into you..

its their fault, they should pay.
eek
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

All those items would be covered by personal valuables insurance - assuming you have it alongside your home and/or contents insurance. No different to dropping your iphone on to your watch and your sunnies fall off while attempting to grab the phone. All covered if you have the right insurance.
--------------
Stu
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

pixelboy wrote:Chase the person who ran into you..

its their fault, they should pay.
:yes:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Might be an option I guess.... Is it weird that I feel sorry for her? I know it was her fault, and she was a dumb bitch that could have killed me being a drunk driver, and wrecked my car and possessions. But I just keep thinking about mistakes some people make... She would already probably be going through hell from the cops after this. I still don't know if she is injured or not. For some reason I have some sympathy for her thinking about how terrible it would be being in her position. That in itself makes me not want to chase after her for more money. Another part of me thinks fuck her, and I shouldn't have to replace or repair this stuff out of my own pocket because of her stupidity.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

If it were me, i would Dex, She was drunk. If you drink then drive all sympathy goes out the window.
macca
Founder
Founder

Post by macca »

DexterPunk wrote:Might be an option I guess.... Is it weird that I feel sorry for her? I know it was her fault, and she was a dumb bitch that could have killed me being a drunk driver, and wrecked my car and possessions. But I just keep thinking about mistakes some people make... She would already probably be going through hell from the cops after this. I still don't know if she is injured or not. For some reason I have some sympathy for her thinking about how terrible it would be being in her position. That in itself makes me not want to chase after her for more money. Another part of me thinks fuck her, and I shouldn't have to replace or repair this stuff out of my own pocket because of her stupidity.
No you shouldn't be out of pocket & NO you shouldn't be sympathetic to her, she fucked up, she has to cop it. It will just be covered by her insurance anyway. Have you thought about personal injury claim, I would be seeing a lawyer, I reckon there would be something in it for you, I know I would chase for every penny.
I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zedmacca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

DexterPunk wrote:Might be an option I guess.... Is it weird that I feel sorry for her? I know it was her fault, and she was a dumb bitch that could have killed me being a drunk driver, and wrecked my car and possessions. But I just keep thinking about mistakes some people make... She would already probably be going through hell from the cops after this. I still don't know if she is injured or not. For some reason I have some sympathy for her thinking about how terrible it would be being in her position. That in itself makes me not want to chase after her for more money. Another part of me thinks fuck her, and I shouldn't have to replace or repair this stuff out of my own pocket because of her stupidity.
Hz would have nailed her by now.... :)

For the record, I am surprised you have not spoken to a legal representative yet... I know you are sympathetic, but injuries have a way of surfacing later. Sometimes it is better to know what is right... just in case something happens that is unexpected...

If you get an ambulance chaser lawyer, you can walk out if it is not what you want... generally first visits are free... although if you proceed, they sting you later... they are lawyers after all... :)
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

bengatta wrote:

ah the old bung eyed mole incident, i'd forgotten about that. :yes:
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

w00dsy wrote:
bengatta wrote:

ah the old bung eyed mole incident, i'd forgotten about that. :yes:
Jeez, was it only the one??? :)
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

Depends on who you are insured with and the policy you purchased Dex. Without knowning who you are insured with and what options you have taken, there is no way to answer the question other than by saying contacting your insurer and discuss it with them.