Choosing a Domain registrar?

Need a hand with a home project, how to fix that bloody roof leak, hang a door etc...
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

Hey all, I want to get a blog going and wondered if anyone knew who would be best to go with as far as paying for domain registration. Prices seems to vary dramatically depending on who you go with and I'm a bit confused as to why. Any help is much appreciated as always! :)
Fandangas,Fang,Fangas,Bangas,Fanny,Fan,Fandsy,Fandangdiddlyo........
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

I went with godaddy about 10 years ago and it's been really easy renewing it since then. If I was looking for hosting as well it might be different.
Takumi

Re: Choosing a Domain registrar?

Post by Takumi »

Go with the cheapest one you can find. Domain registration isn't rocket science and there isn't really any way they can stuff it up.. unless they don't remind you in a year's time when it is due to expire. I registered mine with netregistry.com.au but jumba.net.au is also fine as well.

If you're just looking to run a small blog either of those places would offer cheap hosting plans which would suit you.
It's been nice, chaps.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Actually, there's a bit more to it than just going with the cheapest: you want to be able to admin your domains later on, effectively and easily.
You also want to be sure they'll not 'forget' sending reminder emails near the expiry. If/when that happens you may say good-bye to your domain, especially if it was a successful site even worse if you had strong competition, too.

Also sometimes you'd rather pay a couple $ extra per year for a few of your domain names (it's next to nothing, after all) too keep your domains in one place.
This only applies if you have both international (.com .net) and national (.au) domains. Hell you might have other stuff and you may want to go elsewhere ;)

We use crazydomains.com.au - reasonably cheap across different domain types, easy to maintain via admin panel, proper warnings sent - so far so good.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

Great thanks guys. Ysu what do you mean by admin my domain? As in have complete control over the page, site, whatever?
I'll look into those you've all mentioned cheers!
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Fandango wrote:Great thanks guys. Ysu what do you mean by admin my domain? As in have complete control over the page, site, whatever?
I'll look into those you've all mentioned cheers!
You want to admin the details without hassles, set the whois records, DNS server, renew...
If eg the control panel is crap or the site is woefully slow, it becomes a nightmare. Been there, seen that.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

Crazydomains.com.au seems pretty good for a few sites I setup domain names for :)
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

Takumi wrote:Go with the cheapest one you can find. Domain registration isn't rocket science and there isn't really any way they can stuff it up.. unless they don't remind you in a year's time when it is due to expire. I registered mine with netregistry.com.au but jumba.net.au is also fine as well.

If you're just looking to run a small blog either of those places would offer cheap hosting plans which would suit you.
You'd think that would be the case wouldn't you, I can confirm that rocket watching would be too difficult for at least one... :) I think I told w00dsy the story... :D

I would go with one of the bigger ones... as w00dsy suggested godaddy seems OK...
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

I'm a godaddy girl :up:

No problems thus far
--------------
Stu
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

Ok great thanks guys. Also as far as a blog host/provider? I'm assuming Wordpress would be the go. Anyone got advice for me there?
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Jumba is good and cheap!!