Thinking of Buying a Bike - Help Bike Nuts!!

CyclARSEts talk in here.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Thinking of Buying a Bike - Help Bike Nuts!!

Post by Vilante »

Hey guys,

I've been doing a lot of running lately and want to keep it up but I want to replace my Saturday run with a bike ride to try to spread my fitness around and avoid injury.

I don't want to spend too much initially in case it doesn't take off but then I don't want to ride a 50kg piece of shit. Typical make thing really ha.

So what would you suggest I should buy? It would just be for road riding on Saturday's. I have a helmet and stuff so really just need a bike. Should I look at second-hand?

Cheers nappy wearers.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Re: Thinking of Buying a Bike - Help Bike Nuts!!

Post by CLP »

Vilante wrote: I don't want to spend too much initially in case it doesn't take off but then I don't want to ride a 50kg piece of shit. Typical make thing really ha.
i think this one fits the bill quite nicely :nod:
http://www.trakcycles.com.au/bikes/id/1 ... ed+Edition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you might need to define "not very much" so we can get an idea of a budget. You've said you'd be looking at road riding, but over what sort of terrain?

An Avanti like Norbs just bought recently would be ideal, assuming you think you will keep going with it (or similar spec'ed bikes from Giant). If you're unsure, then a lower spec bike could be the ticket, but you run the risk of wanting to upgrade if you do find you enjoy it. It's one of those things that you want to get right the first time! :)

If you will tend to ride on generally flat roads (or even slightly rolling terrrain) you could consider a single speed bike like a Giant Bowery or a Specialized Langster. They'd be substantially lighter than most bikes and perform very nicely.

second hand can be the way to go if you know what to look for. sometimes you can get a high end bike with low kms when someone has lost interest soon after purchase :)
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Pfft $30k. Isn't there anything better out there? :)

I really don't have much to spend iniitally, not if I want to get on one anytime soon. Would have to be around $500, maybe even less. Perhaps I'm best off just trying to get something from eBay or the Trading Post. See if I can get lucky.

I did have a bike lined up with Dad but I went to check it out and it's both a womans bike and about 125kg's.

It will be riding around Sydney and south of Sydney so some hills and some flat roads.

Thanks CLP :)
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

try one of your local bike shops, they usually have a good variety and even $500 will get you a decent bike for once a week riding. My old flatty bike was reduced from $600 to $400 and i loved it, it was a bit heavier(11.5kg) than my new bike(8.5) but it didn't feel heavy and it's way more comfortable. But like CLP said if the bug bites you will want to upgrade at some point, so it's really down to whether your prepared to spend more down the track. If i wasn't doing the big around the bay ride later in the year i'd of been perfectly happy with my old bike as it's just nice and comfy and easy to ride. Roads bikes are good if you're just on roads, but if you plan of hitting paths as well then maybe consider a flatty.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Vilante wrote: I really don't have much to spend iniitally, not if I want to get on one anytime soon. Would have to be around $500, maybe even less. Perhaps I'm best off just trying to get something from eBay or the Trading Post. See if I can get lucky.
you're probably limiting yourself with that budget, but i suspect you already know that :) Most important thing is that you get a bike that you actually want to ride.. A bike doesn't help your fitness much if it's gathering dust because it's not enjoyable to ride.

what about this:
http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles ... /100321108" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or a giant defy:
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bik ... 270/44177/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(probably can get it much cheaper.. new models have just been announced so you can probably get some good run out deals)

or this ;)
http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles ... /100146956" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Buy my old bike of me.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

What is it and how much do you want for it sexy legs?
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Vilante wrote:How much do you want for it sexy legs?
First, check it out...

I was wanting $600, but I could probably slash 200 cents off that price for you Mando.

I bought it nearly exactly 2 years ago, and it has done just shy of 10,000.

It has brand new tyres on it and the rear wheel has about 500kms on it.

I'll try and call you on the telephunkin.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

$600 will get you onto a good flat bar bike to get started. :yes:

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=15657" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - This was the thread from when I started. Despite what I said in my initial post, I did go for what I found was the best to ride and best value. I've happily done 90km on one ride with it which just shows what that little bit of extra cash does to encourage you to ride.

I started like you Vil, originally running. I had to stop because it just took it out on my legs to the point I was taking more days off than actually running. At least with a bike you can go hard and then just take it that bit easier the next day and you'll be rewarded. Can't say I've suffered an injury riding yet but then again I haven't tried clipless pedals :) (I still do running every now and then)

Take norbs Merida as an idea of just how far a good flat bar will go. In fact, probably do take norbs Merida. :yes:
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

PM'd you my deets Norbs. Might be a bix exy but definitely interested, might just have to wait a while to let the spare cash build up.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

I am also selling my Freeride bike... Put some slicks on it and it will be fine on road... 1.7k for you sir...