What other sports do people play? What do you do for fitness

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

With so much cycling talk I was wondering what everyone else does, both for fitness and for fun?

I play Baseball in the winter and cricket in the Summer though I've taken this year off to try and get fit.

My goal is to run a 10km race in under 45 mins by the end of the year and want to run the 14km City to Surf in September. At this point the first goal is just to run 10km's without stopping for a break. NB - I smoked for 13 years and did NO exercise during that time meaning my I was only able to job for about 30 seconds 18 months ago. I'm on a program that sees me do about 30km's a week with one longer run which increases by 0.5km's per week. This weeks run was 8.5km's, done in 45 mins, so as you can tell I have some work to reach my target :)
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Re: What other sports do people play? What do you do for fit

Post by Exar Kun »

I play field hockey during winter. A bunch of mates were already on the team so thought I'd have a bash (somewhat literally!). Only been doing it for 3 years and I've never played sports before really so I'm a completely uncoordinated bastard on the field but its all about having fun. We play the lowest grade and don't train or anything. Me scoring a goal last year will be the crowning glory of my sporting career!
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

When I was a kid I did all the sports they offered at school level, did a few state championships but nothing higher then that.

Basketball, Cricket, Football, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, Baseball, Softball, Other.

Hated "Fun Runs" at school, having sore ankles and knees(bad joints) after the first lap and turned them into walks.

After I left school Cycling has been the only real sport I have done, but I don't class it as a sport for that I don't do crazy distances.

But when I was a kid we rode from school to Tidal River in Wilsons Promontory for a school trip bit over 100kms 1 way, over 2 days around 50kms a day most on the 1st day were in the following bus, near the stop for the first night a frigen magpie started swooping my head then got stuck in the gap on my helmet(Black base with thin fluro wiggly stripes on it) the teacher didn't know what to do other then tell me to take the helmet off as he came and took it off my head and told me to keep riding, later that night it had tape over the pattern.

I still remember the Training that went into that, mum as soon as she heard about the Ride and distance needed to get there, we drove the course notating hills and long stretches, but as we live at Woolamai there was flat to one side and bigg hills on the other.

Cutting this short.. Following a 10 week distance training program, made quite a difference. After that I got a Pc and everything else stopped.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

I'm an advocate for bedroom sports. The two player ones.
It's been nice, chaps.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

I jog on and off. I've done a couple of fun runs the last 2 years. I was going to dedicate this year to riding only but my son has been keen to go running so I've been going out with him a few times in the last week. He looks like he's running on the spot as he politely hangs back running at my pace.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Vilante wrote:.... meaning my I was only able to job for about 30 seconds 18 months ago.
hmm, Dunno about that, I remember that one time you jobbed for like 6 hours straight...
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Rofl!

Im doing SFA at the moment. Need to get my arse back in the pool. I like swimming, it's just getting the motivation up to get up earlier and go before work. Once I get back from my trip later this year I plan on buying a MTB and riding that as well.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

I need to really hit it hard soon too, Whilst I ride quite a bit now I kind of use it as an excuse to have a shittier diet. I'm gonna invest in a Gym membership to keep active on the darker nights and I wanna try and get to a pool also, I used to do Life saving (nippers) as a kid and it has been a long long long time since I've done any laps in the water. I did used to quite like it though and the Gym I am looking at has a pool so why not.

I always hated Running, But it's something I would eventually like to get in to, I have troubles with my Knees now so I really wanna try and drop another 10kg before I try and take it on though to avoid the impact. I am hovering at the 100kg mark at the moment. A fair stretch from the 117kg I was this time last year but I still wanna get to about 90.
pab

Post by pab »

I compete in pro athletics (mostly just Vets category these days) during summer as well as a bit of dirt kart racing. I also used to run the boundary for SANFL footy (in the 90's) and played quite a bit of volleyball back in my younger days.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Did athletics (mostly high jump) and hockey as a teenager and in my early 20s. Traded hockey for fencing then gave up both. Was a recreational cyclist before anyone else I knew did it but that was a long time ago. Used to swim a lot and want to get back to that.

Main sport for the last 25 years has been sailing. Everyone thinks it's a bludge but tell me that when you're battling a gybe in 30 knots of wind. I also go to a gym where I do cardio and weight work.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I like the cut of your gybe.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

I mostly play soccer/football (whatever you want to call it) now. I play both indoor and outdoor all year round.

Also been cycling. I can blame you guys a bit for that :nod:
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I play over 35's soccer every year.. good to keep fit and a good bunch of lads
eek
somebloke

Post by somebloke »

I play turf cricket in summer and outdoor soccer on winter weekends, as well as 2 x indoor games of futsal a week all year round. I've never been into gym work etc, i need a game and competition to motivate me to keep going and push harder.
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

Indoor Beach Volleyball and Squash are awesome fun and really good workouts... especially squash.
Fandangas,Fang,Fangas,Bangas,Fanny,Fan,Fandsy,Fandangdiddlyo........
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Yeah but where do you find an indoor beach?

:p

Sound cool, I love squash but it's hard on me knees. Old bastard I am :)
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Good time to bring this back up again. Our hockey team has just secured its spot in the finals. We're going to finish the regular season 4th out of 6. :D
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Finals time!! Awesome Exar!! My GF's hockey team have to win and hope another team loses this weekend to get into their final.
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

Ah we've got a massive shed near where I live in an industrial area full of beach sand and volleyball nets. Great fun. Squash is pretty demanding on the body. I go a bit overboard with it haha. Good luck with finals Exar.
Fandangas,Fang,Fangas,Bangas,Fanny,Fan,Fandsy,Fandangdiddlyo........
Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

District basketball year round. Water skiing in the summer. Occasional fill in games of social tennis.
Luigi only likes Ferraris.