Digital Photo Place, Ashburton, Victoria AVOID!!!

ARSE's photographers and arts forum
J.D.
Rat

Digital Photo Place, Ashburton, Victoria AVOID!!!

Post by J.D. »

Today I was looking for somewhere to scan some old negative film.

I was in the Chadstone area and my mother, who still uses a film camera, told me this place still printed film. Before I went there I went to Ted's in Chadstone and asked if they would scan the negs for me. They said they could but I spied a flatbed scanner and asked if that was what they used for negs. The girl said it was so I said "Thanks but no thanks" and left.

I rang Digital Photo Place and asked if they would do it and if it was with a proper neg scanner. The bloke on the other end of the phone said "This is a photo place mate". I said I knew that but that I had just taken my negs to a photo place and they wanted to do it with a flatbed. He said "Well, was it a real photo shop or just a toy one?" I told him it was Ted's and he just made a dismissive grunt and sneered "Toys". I said "Yeah, whatever" and hung up on him.

Wanker.

I will just take my stuff to CPL on Monday. Should have gone there in the first place.

I reckon you can tell a real pro by their manner. They have nothing to prove. The amateurs tell you how good they are or worse, put everyone else down.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Re: Digital Photo Place, Ashburton, Victoria AVOID!!!

Post by DexterPunk »

JD, I have an Epson V700, while it is a flatbed, its aimed at neg and tranny scanning. It has a Dmax of around 4.9 IIRC.... and was very similar to the neg scanner we had at RMIT which was over 20k worth of gear. They are so good, some of the lecturers there ended up buying some for the uni after I told them about mine. 'Proper' neg scanners have two scanning drums top and bottom, which is the same way this flatbed works. They are capable of much higher res than what Teds will give you, and well, it's mine, so if you want to use it when I'm back in Aust.. feel free. You will get some loss of sharpness... it's the nature of film scanning unfortunately. You can scan and print at mine if you like, but as you know, I have to charge for the prints because of the insane cost of ink/paper.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: Re: Digital Photo Place, Ashburton, Victoria AVOID!!!

Post by w00dsy »

DexterPunk wrote: tranny scanning.

You've got my attention.