Buying a 2nd Hand Bike

CyclARSEts talk in here.
GT VIRUS
Karen

Buying a 2nd Hand Bike

Post by GT VIRUS »

I'm looking to pick up a 2nd hand road bike. Seem's like the going rate for a modernish, average nick bike is $500, was hoping to pay less than that though. Not after anything for competition, just after something to commute back from work with.

Just wondering what the main pitfall's to watch out for, and if anyone has any good deals in Adelaide going on as well!
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Re: Buying a 2nd Hand Bike

Post by bengatta »

first and foremost, buy one the right size.... after that it is all about quality of components...
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Look for signs of crash damage, since that will mean there's alignment issues and there's a chance that the frame is cracked, or will crack in the future.
Check for out of true wheels, since that might indicate that the bike hasn't been treated well (very slightly out of true is ok, since it'll only a few $$ to fix)

For the amount of $$, I wouldn't be expecting a whole lot, but i suspect that you will either find:
1) a cheap bike worth about $500 new that someone decided to unload because they found cycling is harder than they thought
2) a well used, older bike worth ~1000-1500 a few years back.

try to get something in the latter category. it's more than likely looked after better and they're probably only selling it to fund upgrades or additional purchases.

I'd avoid any carbon fibre at that price.. assuming you can find any on offer.

Would you consider a flat bar road bike? Avanti Blades are probably around that price point brand new, and i think Giants and Scotts are similarly priced.

Hope that helps a bit. :)
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

I am not against any flat bar bikes at all! :) I'ld be looking for a basic well sorted bike, no need for carbon fibre anything. Thanks for the tips
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

if it's just for commuting go for a flat bar, more comfy than a road bike and won't give you as many issues with your back or neck. If you plan on doing a lot of km's at a fast pace, then go for a road bike.
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

Sounds like a flat bar is the way to go. I'm hoping to use it for longer trips eventually, but to started with the 20k commute home will do fine.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

maybe a bit above what you were looking for price-wise, but someone's friend on adelaide cyclists are selling their current model avanti blade 3 here
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Someone posted this one on the PACC forum:
Avanti Corsa road bike 4 Sale $550

56cm pro series Avanti Corsa,

9 Speed Ultrgrea with 172.5mm Dura Ace cranks (can swap for 175mm ultrgra)

runs well, just replaced the cables, chain, small chainring. Swaped over rear cluster about 800km ago
http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles ... /102007736" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

might be what you are looking for?
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

Definitely what I'm looking at! Thanks

Also didn't know about bike exchange, thanks for sharing it!