New Norton Summit Record

CyclARSEts talk in here.
CLP
C grade super domestique

New Norton Summit Record

Post by CLP »

This is kind of massive news, at least in local (SA) cycling circles.

Jack Bobridge's record in ascending Norton Summit has been smashed during the Rendition Homes time trial yesterday. See here for news :) and a bit more here.

For the non-SA riders, Norton Summit is the most cycled climb in SA, and is used by the AIS as a benchmark for assessing riders.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: New Norton Summit Record

Post by norbs »

Damien Howson recorded a time of 11mins 29secs up the 4.9%, 5.6km climb. That’s an average of 29km/h and 21 seconds faster than Bobridge’s time set in 2007.

My heart rate just spiked when I read that!

Edit : I always thought it was steeper than that. I could climb it comfortably, but in about 25 minutes. :D
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Nice.. and not just a little bit.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:Damien Howson recorded a time of 11mins 29secs up the 4.9%, 5.6km climb. That’s an average of 29km/h and 21 seconds faster than Bobridge’s time set in 2007.

My heart rate just spiked when I read that!
it's just a little insane, isn't it? My commute this morning (flat/slight downhill) was at 28-ish km/h.. puts Howson's performance into perspective for me! :P
norbs wrote:Edit : I always thought it was steeper than that. I could climb it comfortably, but in about 25 minutes. :D
lol.. that's really the trick though, isn't it.. 25 minutes at "comfortable", or 11:29 at "vomit inducing" level :)

the thing with Norton Summit is that it's quite accessible for everyone, so everyone has a go :) It's not super steep, but it's steep enough to test yourself. There's a bit of a kick at the beginning, which tend to knock you around a bit and then you're on the back foot from that point onwards!
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

I saw this this morning and thought back to my ride yesterday - attempting to go up Anstey Hill. I got about a quarter of the way and thought I'd better stop for a rest. Then felt pretty dizzy so just said fuck it and rolled back down :D

30km/hr up a hill is just crazy. I doubt I could make it to the top without passing out, let alone go half that speed
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

kwijibo wrote:I saw this this morning and thought back to my ride yesterday - attempting to go up Anstey Hill. I got about a quarter of the way and thought I'd better stop for a rest. Then felt pretty dizzy so just said fuck it and rolled back down :D

30km/hr up a hill is just crazy. I doubt I could make it to the top without passing out, let alone go half that speed
at least you got out there and had a go :yes:

would recommend giving NS a go at some point.. even if you drive to the tower hotel and ride from there. Once you get past the first hairpin (past the pony club) it's not so bad. Getting over Norton Summit really opens up your options as far as cycling goes... :)
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

CLP wrote:
kwijibo wrote:I saw this this morning and thought back to my ride yesterday - attempting to go up Anstey Hill. I got about a quarter of the way and thought I'd better stop for a rest. Then felt pretty dizzy so just said fuck it and rolled back down :D

at least you got out there and had a go :yes:

would recommend giving NS a go at some point.. even if you drive to the tower hotel and ride from there. Once you get past the first hairpin (past the pony club) it's not so bad. Getting over Norton Summit really opens up your options as far as cycling goes... :)
I reckon I have to get over one of the smaller hills first :) I've always had a problem when pushing my legs that I get quite nauseous. Particularly doing squats and the like. Its getting better though. Might attempt the beginning of one tree hill rd next week, as that is only about 2kms long instead of 4 :)
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

kwijibo wrote: I reckon I have to get over one of the smaller hills first :) I've always had a problem when pushing my legs that I get quite nauseous. Particularly doing squats and the like. Its getting better though. Might attempt the beginning of one tree hill rd next week, as that is only about 2kms long instead of 4 :)
If you're looking for a nice beginners hill, try waterfall gully :) Only 3.8km at a pretty moderate gradient. You should be able to knock that one of in about 15 minutes :)
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

I'd get nervous doing 30kph down the hill.