Photo advice

ARSE's photographers and arts forum
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Photo advice

Post by Big Kev »

So I went out to a bird sanctuary this afternoon and although I don't really have the huge honkachonka lenses to get really close up pics from a distance, I did ok.

At one point I spotted a kestrel above the reed beds in front of me. After a bit of hovering he swooped over and perched in the tree behind me and I got a couple of pictures off. However, they're way too contrasty with the bird more of a silhouette (pics below). The sun was starting to go down and it was getting dusk so that probably didn't help and a bit of photoshopping brings the picture up a little although the colours are very washed out but what setting can I change in the future to get more of the bird colour and less of the sky. I was running it in aperture priority mode.

Actual pic (cropped a bit)

Post photoshoppery

ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: Photo advice

Post by norbs »

Not much you can do Kev. The camera only has so much dynamic range. With the sky back lit against the bird in shadow, you are always going to struggle. To expose the bird properly, you would blow the bejesus out of the sky. From what I can tell, you look to be shooting towards the light, which makes it even harder.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

mm was afraid you were going to say that. Yeah I was shooting almost towards the light cos that's where the bird was. I guess I had a lot against me really, light behind the subject, dusk looming, not enough zoomage and not enough talent.

Just wish I could do stuff like this, but it looks like a much sunnier day

My Flickr Stream
norbs

Post by norbs »

Big Kev wrote:mm was afraid you were going to say that. Yeah I was shooting almost towards the light cos that's where the bird was. I guess I had a lot against me really, light behind the subject, dusk looming, not enough zoomage and not enough talent.

Just wish I could do stuff like this, but it looks like a much sunnier day

Much sunnier.

A few things to try. I havent looked at the EXIF so, no idea what setting you used.

Open up the aperture to try and get more light in. Bump up the ISO setting.

Sadly, with the bird where it was, you will always struggle. I dont know how often I went through the same issues when out shooting birds and other animals.
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

Kev, this is why people use "fill flash", but it's not really suitable for wildlife shots. :lol:
:teach:
pab

Post by pab »

Did you shoot raw or jpeg?
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Jpeg. I know you're supposed to do raw but never got round to trying it. Would that give me more scope to 'recover' the picture?
My Flickr Stream
Speed

Post by Speed »

Your shot could have been improved quite a bit by using a different metering mode, using exposure compensation or shooting in manual.

If you used aperture priority & evaluative or average metering the camera would think that your exposure was perfect taking the whole scene into account. If you added + 1 or 2 stops in exposure compensation the bird would look much better but as Norbs says the sky would probably blow out.
If you used spot metering your bird would expose perfectly. The problem with that though is, unless you lock your exposure, you can't recompose. Same problem with the sky though.
http://500px.com/Warren_Joyce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pab

Post by pab »

Absolutely, the process of converting to jpeg involves throwing away a lot of the range that's in the raw file, it saves a lot of file space, but means you're much more limited in the adjustments you can do afterwards.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
norbs

Post by norbs »

Speed wrote:Your shot could have been improved quite a bit by using a different metering mode, using exposure compensation or shooting in manual.

If you used aperture priority & evaluative or average metering the camera would think that your exposure was perfect taking the whole scene into account. If you added + 1 or 2 stops in exposure compensation the bird would look much better but as Norbs says the sky would probably blow out.
If you used spot metering your bird would expose perfectly. The problem with that though is, unless you lock your exposure, you can't recompose. Same problem with the sky though.

I keep forgetting Kev splits atoms for a job and will actually understand stuff like Spot metering that a lot of mug togs just dont grasp. :p
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Thanks for the advice guys. Certainly some things to play with next time.
My Flickr Stream