Thinking of upgrading

CyclARSEts talk in here.
Gizmo
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Thinking of upgrading

Post by Gizmo »

So I'm thinking of upgrading my bike. Getting back into Triathlons now and want to get something more suited to the event. I figure with all the 2012 bikes starting to hit the floor, now is a good time to pick up a 2011 model bike for a good price.

I will need to sell my current bike first, and I really don't know what is the best method. Do many people use bikeexchange.com.au or are bike forums the way to go?

My current bike is abit of a mix thanks to the frame being replaced under warranty last year. The frame is a Specialized Roubaix SL3 Pro with an Ultegra SL groupset and wheels. I really have no idea on what the 2nd hand bike market is like but I was hoping I could get around the $2000 mark. Is this realistic or will I get responses along the lines of "Tell him he's dreamin"

There are three bikes that I would like to upgrade to, each for different reasons.

Felt B2 Pro
Sex on wheels! If money wasn't a factor, this would be my choice. Still alittle pricey so i'm hoping it will drop down soon.

Boardman Air TT 9.4
Doesn't give me a semi like the Felt but god dam, it's great value! With my gold member discount at Wiggle it's only $4084 and if you can get it in one of Wiggles many 20% off sales it's down to $3450 :fall: Haven't been able to find any reviews on this bike however apart of the companies own promotional material. Has anyone heard anything (good or bad) about Boardman bikes in general?

Felt AR3
The only road bike so far, set of areo bars and I would be in business. With the new 2012 AR2 out you could get a good deal on this bike.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: Thinking of upgrading

Post by norbs »

What size is it Giz?
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

What size is it? This is a massive shame since I was trying to buy a Roubaix earlier this year.
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

56cm.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Gizmo wrote:56cm.

God damn it. Exactly the right size.

I am not sure on pricing Giz. Seems cheap considering what I was looking at in the LBS yesterday. That said, I don't have $2000 or I would be on your doorstep.

I have promised my self, probably to the disgust of Flinty and CLP, that my next bike will be full carbon with discs. And probably by the time I can afford it, Di7!
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

I'm not going to be selling it tomorrow, i'm thinking in a couple of months, your more than welcome to keep in touch, i'll send you some photos of you like.

The bike new retails for $6500 but that is with a Dura Ace groupset, mine has an Ultegra SL. Not 100% on pricing yet either as I don't know the 2nd hand bike market.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Any reason you can't hang on to it as a training bike and save the TT bike for your events? If you do a lot of road training to get some base miles etc, then the TT bike is likely to be less pleasant to ride longer distances... why not get some TT bars? :)

bike exchange is probably a good place to try and sell.. though you could also advertise at local clubs.. it's a high enough level bike that racers would be interested. where are you located? you could try http://www.sydneycyclist.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or http://www.melbournecyclist.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if you're in or around once of those places :)
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Ah, 56 is too big for me, even though this frame I have now is a 56. I felt best on a 52, of all things :faint:
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Crowella wrote:Ah, 56 is too big for me, even though this frame I have now is a 56. I felt best on a 52, of all things :faint:
is that a 52 on a specialized or a different brand? I wouldn't compare the sizes between brands .. they're all over the shop and are essentially meaningless!
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

CLP wrote:
Crowella wrote:Ah, 56 is too big for me, even though this frame I have now is a 56. I felt best on a 52, of all things :faint:
is that a 52 on a specialized or a different brand? I wouldn't compare the sizes between brands .. they're all over the shop and are essentially meaningless!
Should have mentioned that the 52 is what I fit on the Specialized bikes, the Tarmac/Roubaix at least.
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

The Boardman Air TT 9.4 is no longer on Wiggle......Hope it comes back :(
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Emailed wiggle. The will get more stock in they arejustnot sure when :fall:. When they do I think I'll put my bike up for sale.
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Ok Fellas, going to put my Roubaix SL3 up for sale in a couple of weeks. Thought I would offer it here first if anyone is interested. I'm hoping to get around $2500-$3000. PM me if your interested or want some more pictures/details. It's got an Ultegra SL Compact groupset which is form 2009. The frame is a 2011 model and basically brand new, it would have less than 700km on it in total.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

So my gear leavers look pretty second hand. My LBS said it is because of the salt. I was thinking of replaceing them to help the bike sell until I saw it was about $400 for a set :fall: This is purely cosmetic and the leavers still function perfect. As a buyer would you be put off by this? Or are there cheaper options to replace these, ie) just the metal leaver and not the rest of the assembly?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

If I were looking at it, I would buy it with that lever. Some might be a bit more anal about looks.

It will be hard to justify it having done 700km with that lever though.
norbs

Post by norbs »

You must sweat like a bastard Giz. Thats a lot of damage for a short time.
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Its only the frame which has 700km on it. The groupset wasn't replaced so is the original I got back in 2009.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

I wouldn't touch a bike with that damage .. unless the rest of the bike was absolutely spotless and there was a corresponding price drop to account for me having to buy new shifters and have them fitted. As one of the more expensive components on the bike it's one of the things a buy is going to absolutely want perfect.

You could get a new set of 105 levers for sub $200 from ribble, but as a buyer i'd be questioning why you have the lower spec'ed shifters installed (my suspicion would be that you have crashed the bike, replaced the levers and are now trying to offload it in that scenario)