Selling on ebay

Buying or Selling stuff? Here's the place to do it.
Forum rules
The admins take no responsibility for goods sold, bought or swapped on the forums. This forum is purely for making others aware that you have stuff to buy, sell or swap. Please make all transactions of money and goods via PM or email.

Sellers must have a reasonable number of posts on this board to advertise. If you register and advertise straight away then your post will be viewed as spam and removed. Please contact one of the admins, however, if you think your ad warrants special consideration.

Thanks.
Enforcer-J

Selling on ebay

Post by Enforcer-J »

Just wondering if there's anyone here with much experience with selling on ebay? Im looking at selling a few things and looking at getting over $300 for my bike for instance, ofcourse Id like to get as much as I can.
Am I better off putting a minimum of $250 and havin that insurance or is it worth not having a minimum bid and drum up interest (and the price) that way?
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Re: Selling on ebay

Post by ysu »

as far as i know the most interest and usually highest price can be achieved via a ridiculously low starting price. $10.
It takes balls though :)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

I would throw it on gumtree for a week or so at $50 more than you are after.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Yeah I tried that, had some bites from 3 people but all of them just wanted to haggle.... so I'm trying ebay and letting the buyers haggle the price up between themselves. I've started with an amount I'd wouldnt be stoked about but would take.... I've got no bids but 10 watchers so hopefully that's a good sign I'll get about what I'm looking for
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

good luck.

the reason for the low starter price is to get it in front of more people, I think. It's expected that they'll put it on their watch-list. The real deal starts near the end, last day or so. What I don't remember is how long the auction should be...but it was something like a week I think,
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Cheers! I've made it a week so we'll see how it goes :)
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

oh, I've read something else a while back:
there was also some notable thing scheduling the actual ending time for the auction. Google for it if you like. It was something about not timing the auction to end on a saturday night, nor at 4am, etc. So to maximise the potential ppl able to bid in the last hours/minutes.

Sorry I'm just putting this here, it comes back slowly.
But maybe it'll help next time (or someone else here), so we all know what to look out for.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

ysu wrote:oh, I've read something else a while back:
there was also some notable thing scheduling the actual ending time for the auction. Google for it if you like. It was something about not timing the auction to end on a saturday night, nor at 4am, etc. So to maximise the potential ppl able to bid in the last hours/minutes.

Sorry I'm just putting this here, it comes back slowly.
But maybe it'll help next time (or someone else here), so we all know what to look out for.
Pretty simple really. Time it for Sunday nights or weekday lunches or nights.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I will usually set my auctions to end on a Tuesday night around 7-8pm, I base this on the stats from my work's website, Tuesday night is the busiest night with visits tapering off to Saturday night being the least amount of visits.

Whether this helps getting the best price out of the auction is an unknown but I don't think it can hurt.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 via Tapatalk 2
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

I always tend to end mine during the weekday lunch time slots or between 7-10pm at night, times that I know I'm on the net checking out ebay etc :)