Need Fuel Efficiency!!

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Need Fuel Efficiency!!

Post by Vilante »

We buy Commodore's at work for no particular reason, cheap and decent.

We have area managers out in the country that do 75,000km's per year, 90% on the highway so I'm thinking maybe we could get something more fuel efficient.

Wants to either be similar to a Commodore in size and price or a smaller off roader. Happy with Diesel or whatever.

Looking at smaller 4WD's at the moment but the savings don't seem huge.

Any ideas?
petey

Re: Need Fuel Efficiency!!

Post by petey »

Big cars low revving is perfect for highway. Maybe a fleet of v8s?

;)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I'd say look at diesel SUVs but with those sorts of highway k's it's hard to know how the costs will pan out. If you buy lots of cars you probably get them at fleet rates which are incredibly cheap for Commodores. Parts and servicing is also pretty cheap for Commodores. You won't get anything diesel in a similar size for anywhere near the price and since a larger car like the Commodore will be at its most efficient (relatively speaking) on the highway, perhaps the costs saved in fuel won't add up compared to the extra initial outlay plus extra cost of maintaining a diesel?

Having said that, here's some suggestions:

Hyundai i30 diesel wagon - This is the just superseded model (new version won't come here in wagon) so any new ones around are the last of the lot. Similar load carrying to any compact SUV, amazing mileage and pretty cheap running costs.

Hyundai ix35 / Kia Sportage diesel - twins under the skin. Kia generally gets a better write up. Looks better and rides better but much of a muchness really. Both have alright servicing costs and can fit a bit more in than the i30.

Golf wagon petrol or diesel - all engines are very efficient. Fit and finish is nice. Load capacity is ok and they drive very well. Servicing costs on the high side.

Skoda Octavia wagon petrol or diesel - as per Golf really but a bit more space in the boot. Can get a better value package at the same price.

Holden Cruze wagon - not out yet but coming later this year. I assume it'll be offered in diesel and the 1.4 turbo. The 1.8 NA petrol is rubbish. Could get good prices but maybe not when first released. Servicing costs should be at the lower end of the spectrum.

All of the above are under $35k drive away new.

Most of the compact diesel SUVs are at the premium end of their respective ranges (well, certainly not at the bottom anyway). Tiguan, Yeti, CX-5 all start their diesel offerings higher up the range or the autos only start higher (assuming people who drive all day don't want a manual). If you go up to $45k or so then there's all sorts of options with X-Trail, Pug 4008, Outlander, Territory etc.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

You are the man Exar!

I'm looking at the CX-5. Good looking little car with good specs in Maxx Sport guise. If I can get it down a little in price it might be the go.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Nice car but from what I've read the petrol engine is gutless in a car that size and doesn't match claimed consumption. Diesel is much better but much more expensive. A test drive would tell you what you needed to know though.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Yeah we'd go for the Diesel, better on fuel and more powerful. We usually end up close to $36K with options on the Commodore's so willing to go up a little in price in the short term if we can see some real fuel savings.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Make sure you compare service costs too. Diesel will be more expensive. CX-5 is fairly new so I'm not sure how much data is out there but worth checking http://www.carservice.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; anyway.

CX-5 should be much better on resale than the Commodore and that may be a larger saving than the extra service costs.
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

My mate just bought a CX5 - gets 7ltr/100 around town...

He's far from a leadfoot, but still... that's some pretty good economy!
Would love to know what it gets on the hwy.
Steve
---
EzyRider

Post by EzyRider »

It's not quite Commodore-sized, but these seem to be the latest fleet cars for the distance covering companies..

http://www.ford.com.au/cars/mondeo/models/zetec-wagon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unforgiven uses one for his work, so he'd be more in the loop for the smaller, more refined deets. 2.0l turbo diesel with 6 speed auto though.
Middle Pack Racing Watch your mirrors!

Norbs on Germaine Greer: "..that crusty old slag can tongue kiss my quivering sphincter muscle, fuck her and the pretentious boat she fucking sailed in on."
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Vilante wrote:You are the man Exar!

I'm looking at the CX-5. Good looking little car with good specs in Maxx Sport guise. If I can get it down a little in price it might be the go.
I had one for a weekend a month ago, thought it was great, loved the torque of the diesel..
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Awesome, thanks guys. Will continue the research Monday. Legends :yes:
Doso

Post by Doso »

Renault lattitude?

Basically the same car as a Nissan maxima (made in the same factory by the same people), but has the awesome 2.0l turbo diesel engine with 400NM of torque!

Best thing is that it has a fuel use of 6.5l per 100 km all in a car as big as a commodore!

Also the turbo diesel base model starts at 37k

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2