F40 birthday parade

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

F40 birthday parade

Post by Big Kev »

This was the moment 60 Ferrari F40 owners took part in a world record parade of the Italian car maker's most famous model.

The F40 was the first production car capable of 200mph when it was launched in 1987.

And to celebrate the iconic machine's 25th birthday, 60 owners from around the world descended on Silverstone for an anniversary parade.

Nigel Chiltern-Hunt, who spent two-years organising the event, arrived in the 1990 Ferrari F40 he has owned for ten years.

He said: "We set the previous record in 2007 when 44 owners arrived in their F40s but 60 is amazing.

"Owners travelled from as far as Switzerland, Sweden and the USA. One English owner came here from Romania.

"It was hard work getting everything together but it was a perfect day and a marvellous sight."

Despite being launched in 1987, the F40 is still regarded by many as the world's greatest supercar.

It was also Enzo Ferrari’s 'swansong' car - with the company boss passing away aged 90 the following year.

Designed to be the closest thing to a Formula One car for the road, the F40 was fitted with a twin-turbocharged 3-litre V8 engine developing 478bhp.

This gave the two-seat supercar a 0-60mph time of 3.7 seconds and a top speed of 201mph - making it the first car capable of the then fabled double-ton.

Mr Chiltern-Hunt, 67, a retired businessman from Hertfordshire, has owned two F40s over the years.

He added: "The F40 was Enzo Ferrari's last statement and he signed every owners' handbook. It is the only car car he did it with.

"I bought one from new but sold it and realised what a mistake I'd made so I bought another one soon after - it is the original supercar.

"I only really bring it out for special events. My daily drive is a ten-year-old Ford Focus."
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Re: F40 birthday parade

Post by NeilPearson »

so pretty!
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

It's weird seeing them all together. It's like a really bad Photoshop :)
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I've never noticed before but it kinda looks like a 911 from the front.

An amazing car no doubt but the 458 is a much sexier car.. Sorry.
eek
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

F40 birthday parade

Post by DexterPunk »

I was actually talking with a friend today about what we'd take given the choice of an F12 or an F40. The F40 was the car I worshipped as a kid. It will always be something I wish I had, but practically I think I would rather own something like an F12. I have always thought it was a bit silly to own a Ferrari and barely drive it, but I think I'd be scared to drive an F40 around and probably end up not driving it unless it was a special occasion.

I agree, the pic looks like a bad photoshop lol

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

If I had enough money to buy one I'd get two, one to drive every day and one for special occasions lol.

There was a HUGE poster of one all my young life and I'd do almost anything to own one.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

The further away they get, the more they look like a Supra.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

F40 birthday parade

Post by DexterPunk »

I think it's more... the closer a Supra gets the less it looks like an F40. :)

Dan
Wobbly2.0

F40 birthday parade

Post by Dan »

Screenshot from GT6?
The Todd Norbury appreciation society
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

Lygon St?
:teach:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

F40 birthday parade

Post by DexterPunk »

lol needs more coffee shops.

w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Lyons St usually has a lot of Chrysler 300c's that are full of men with violin cases. Yet you hardly ever hear them being played.

I have only seen 1 F40 in the wild, it was a few months after they were released and one turned up in my hometown, presumably out for a sunday drive. The one thing that always stuck with me was the bit of string to open the door. You pay a million bucks for the worlds greatest car and door handles are too heavy. No radio, no air con. Just a racing car in a nice suit. They must be horrible things to drive on a normal road.

One of my dads mates was a cyclist back then and was riding along a quiet road out of geelong and he said he looked behind, saw nothing, and about 20 sec's later an F40 went past him at near top speed and almost blew him off his bike. He said he wasn't sure whether he should be angry or in awe of seeing one unleashed. I'm assuming it was probably the same one, there wouldn't be too many out this way.