Senna Movie - Adelaide Premier

Chat about stuff you've seen
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Re: Senna Movie - Adelaide Premier

Post by durbster »

It's just started another run at the cinema where I saw it, so it must have been more successful than they expected.
Cutter
Legend in his own lunchtime
Legend in his own lunchtime

Post by Cutter »

Its on in Melbourne this month.

http://miff.com.au/films/view?film_id=121153" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe ARSEmeet Sat night at the forum, dinner in china town first maybe?

EDIT: Although the 22nd would be on the weekend of Sams race. Thoughts?
Cutter ~ Carl Rickard

richo

Post by richo »

Just saw it at La Premiere, Fox studios (Ent Quarter ) and found it quite moving to be honest . The images of Donnelly and Ratzenberger were utterly chilling.

And yes the French were most unbiased in there approach :) Fucking Balestre
[]D [] []v[] []D
Gougoodthing
Call me Nancy

Post by Gougoodthing »

Took my 13yo (revhead) son along to watch it last week, he didnt say a lot but i know he got a lot out of it.

Was trying to explain that Senna is my #1 in life.

I wish the fikm had been 30 minutes longer, but maybe thats me. the most interesting things were the fly on the wall cams in the pits and drivers briefings.

I hadnt seen the Donelly footage before.

Yuck.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Finally got round to watching this tonight with my dad.

Great film/documentary.

I'd quite like to see a few more on other drivers.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

I got this on a recommendation from a film buff mate of mine.

I probably should point out that I was never a fan of Ayrton Senna and this doco did not change my mind.

I probably should also say that the people who complained endlessly about Jean-Marie Balestre are more or less the same ones who complain about Bernie Ecclestone. All I can say is be careful what you wish for. It was just a change of dictators, nothing else. Their methods are indistinguishable from one another.

It's a bit of a polemic really. Good guy Ayrton versus evil Prost and J-MB. That's the price you pay if you want access to his family. But for all that, I did actually think it was good...worth seeing even. The interview with Jackie Stewart is quite revealing and the histrionics at the drivers meetings give you a few extra clues. The climax of the doco - the weekend at Imola - is very well presented. The film makers don't fall for the trick of trying to add levels of storyline which are not there, like fate messages or something equally stupid. That would have made a pig's breakfast of it. Instead they just tell it like it happened and leave it at that.

From a documentary point of view, that is outstanding.

One point though; one of the interviewees said that Senna had no broken bones and that, apart from a piece of suspension through his head, he was undamaged. This is not true and smacks of someone trying to improve on the story. Senna had no fewer than three fatal head injuries but the cited cause of death was a basilar skull fracture - the same injury which killed Roland Ratzenberger the day before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilar_skull_fracture" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Ayrton_Senna" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Everyone always remembers the gory bits better. I can't count the number of racing driver "tribute threads" on YouTube which are just an excuse to show dead bodies...

In the end, my sympathies went not to the Formula 1 circus but to the Brazilian people.

It's a good piece of film making but in the end, I could not bring myself to believe that he was any different from what I'd always thought him to be: a highly skilled driver who would deliberately run you off the road if it suited him. They try to explain this but it just doesn't wash with me.

7/10
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.