Road tyres - clinchers

CyclARSEts talk in here.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Road tyres - clinchers

Post by smithcorp »

G'day chaps

Any recommendations for 700c roadie tyres? What's the best these days in terms of durability, puncture-resistance?

cheers

smith
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Re: Road tyres - clinchers

Post by Duke »

My allegiance is to Continental tyres either their GP4000s or Gatorskin, it is their "Black Chili" compound which I find to be the best.

But there are other riders that'll swear by other companies & certain models of tyre's like Vittorria, Michelin etc.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Thanks Flinty - Cellbikes has the gatorskin Contis at $39 - good price? (tyres are more expensive than I remember): http://www.cellbikes.com.au/Continental ... gory=12704" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Flinty72 wrote:My allegiance is to Continental tyres either their GP4000s or Gatorskin, it is their "Black Chili" compound which I find to be the best.

But there are other riders that'll swear by other companies & certain models of tyre's like Vittorria, Michelin etc.
+1 to those :)

gatorskins are a good commuter/all round tyre... if you're after a bit more performance, the 4000s model is the go :)
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Another vote for Gators. Over 7000kms with out a puncture over 2 sets.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:Another vote for Gators. Over 7000kms with out a puncture over 2 sets.
you will now that you've said that :nod:
norbs

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote:
norbs wrote:Another vote for Gators. Over 7000kms with out a puncture over 2 sets.
you will now that you've said that :nod:
Running the orange Rubinos now. So far so good.

I'm not at my desk. Thanks Tappatalk.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Sorry smith got caught having to doing work, $39 is a good price from a local supplier.

If you want try Wiggle as they have this 2 tyre + 2 tubes combo for the Gatorskins. Just beware they are the non-foldable (steel belt) type. Not that I think that would worry you.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-ult ... -tube-set/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dukester

smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

That's a good deal Flinty! Thanks. I can't decide between the gators and the GP4000s!
markus

Post by markus »

smithcorp wrote:That's a good deal Flinty! Thanks. I can't decide between the gators and the GP4000s!
GP4000s weigh less :)
Much cycling such kilometers.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

markus wrote:
smithcorp wrote:That's a good deal Flinty! Thanks. I can't decide between the gators and the GP4000s!
GP4000s weigh less :)
Also less rolling resistance but I would also say less puncture resistant than the Gators, only marginally though.

You won't be disappointed with either, trust me. ;)
Dukester

Jamo

Post by Jamo »

On a similar vein I'm gonna get a set of these Gators for Bonnie.

Any of you chaps have thoughts on a Pump? Basically I don't want to hang one on her so I need something that will comfortably fit in a jersey pocket yet still give me enough PSI to get me home.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
norbs

Post by norbs »

Jamo wrote:On a similar vein I'm gonna get a set of these Gators for Bonnie.

Any of you chaps have thoughts on a Pump? Basically I don't want to hang one on her so I need something that will comfortably fit in a jersey pocket yet still give me enough PSI to get me home.
Co2??
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Don't really know anything about that Norbs, how does it work? Any experiences?
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

why not a mini pump in the pocket? that's what i do :)
norbs

Post by norbs »

Jamo wrote:Don't really know anything about that Norbs, how does it work? Any experiences?
I use a cheap arsed version of this one...

http://www.cellbikes.com.au/Zefal-EZ-Push-CO2-Kit_251" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just carry a spare tube, 1 cartridge and the little valve thing.

I also have a minipump on the down tube next to the drink bottle cage. Similar to this one...

http://www.cellbikes.com.au/Lezyne-Allo ... -Hand-Pump" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have learned to make sure I find where the tyre has punctured and to get rid of any foreign objects.

I have had 3 punctures in the past 14000kms according to my strava stats. Gatorskins and Rubinos for all of those kms.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

I carry a small saddle bag (continental), which contains a spare tube, stick on patches, valve extender, tyre levers and multitool. Using the velcro strap on the bag, i attach my mini pump to the saddle bag. then the whole thing goes in the centre jersey pocket.

i've also got a second saddle bag (Vaude Race Light) which contains, a spare tube, stick on patches, valve extender, tyre levers, 2x CO2, CO2 valve. that one comes along on the longer rides and sportif events. this one goes under the saddle
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Go nuts: http://search.cellbikes.com.au/search?a ... ezyne+Pump" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lezyne is all quality albeit some of it pricey but some not too bad.
CO2 is fantastic but you can get caught out until you have had some experience, main thing is not start inflating until you know the tyre is seated on the rim properly.

Remember a skinny pump produces higher pressure but with less volume per stroke so best for road tyres while fatter pumps push more volume per stroke but have a less max pressure so best for MTB type tyres. ;)
Dukester

smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

I've stopped carrying a mini-pump. I bought one of these: http://www.bikebug.com/pumps-co2-rav-x- ... -1139.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just fits in a jersey pocket along with a spare tube and some tire levers. CO2 inflators have come a long way. I remember trying them in the 90s and having half the air blast out all over the joint instead of going into the tube!