Giant Avail - opinions, experiences?

CyclARSEts talk in here.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Giant Avail - opinions, experiences?

Post by smithcorp »

Hi all

I'm planning to get a roadie for Bibi and the Giant shop in the city has a Giant Avail women's bike 2012 model (aluminium frame, compact cranks/chainring, 105 groupset with additional little brake levers on the tops, smaller bars and frame, women's saddle etc) for $1,199 reduced (according to the sales guy) from $1,600.

Any opinions on this? I like that it has 105 gear, as most of the other entry level girl's bikes have Sora gear (including the otherwise lovely Bianchi Dama). Plus it comes with shimano pedals.

smith
CLP
C grade super domestique

Re: Giant Avail - opinions, experiences?

Post by CLP »

smithcorp wrote:Hi all

I'm planning to get a roadie for Bibi and the Giant shop in the city has a Giant Avail women's bike 2012 model (aluminium frame, compact cranks/chainring, 105 groupset with additional little brake levers on the tops, smaller bars and frame, women's saddle etc) for $1,199 reduced (according to the sales guy) from $1,600.

Any opinions on this? I like that it has 105 gear, as most of the other entry level girl's bikes have Sora gear (including the otherwise lovely Bianchi Dama). Plus it comes with shimano pedals.

smith
not a bad price for a bike with 105 groupset. maybe check that it's a full 105 set though (sometimes they substitute tiagra in there too). I don't have any specific experience with the Avail, but Giant bikes in general are pretty reasonable bang for buck. Possibly don't limit yourself to the womens models.. check the fit on the mens bikes too. Miss V rides a mens frame because it fit her better than the equivalent womens frame. Similarly, while the womens saddle is probably the correct choice (Miss V loves her Selle Italia Diva), don't be shy about asking to try a couple others.

the bar top brake levers, while appearing to be a good idea i think are pretty annoying.. personal opinion... i'm sure others will disagree :nod: i have them on my 'cross bike, and i think i'll be taking them off the next service.

Something else to consider, if Bibi has smaller hands, or possibly difficulty applying pressure to the brake levers at full stretch, insist that the bike shop install the brake lever reach adjustment shims.. putting them onto Miss V's bike has made the world of difference. We can now set the brakes so that she's stopping before the lever hits the bar :S
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

they have 105 eqipped carbon bikes at Cellbikes for the same price. Not sure how it compares to the Giant. http://www.cellbikes.com.au/Cell-Cyclon ... -Road-Bike" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

CLP wrote:not a bad price for a bike with 105 groupset. maybe check that it's a full 105 set though (sometimes they substitute tiagra in there too).
Thanks CLP. I see from the specs that it has 105 brifters and derailleurs, but Tiagra cassette and chain (not a biggy I think). It has the reach adjust and a compact crankset. She sat on it on a trainer and then had a little ride around the streets - it fits her quite well.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

smithcorp wrote:
CLP wrote:not a bad price for a bike with 105 groupset. maybe check that it's a full 105 set though (sometimes they substitute tiagra in there too).
Thanks CLP. I see from the specs that it has 105 brifters and derailleurs, but Tiagra cassette and chain (not a biggy I think). It has the reach adjust and a compact crankset. She sat on it on a trainer and then had a little ride around the streets - it fits her quite well.
just looked at the specs

also substituted are tektro brake calipers and an R600 crankset.. so not really a "105" groupset, but most of the important bits are 105, and you could always upgrade bits later on :) most important thing is.. does it fit, and does she enjoy riding it? if you have ticks in both those categories, then it sounds like you're on a winner! :)