auto gearshifts for bicycles

CyclARSEts talk in here.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: auto gearshifts for bicycles

Post by norbs »

Jamo wrote:Yeah you're right Norbs but I'm at least trying to tame some of my exuberant spending. Not much luck I'm about to drop 500+ on a new set of bars and stem.

It was a Sora/Tiagra combo to be precise ;) I think you blokes have sold me on the Ultegra upgrade, actually mostly to get the 105 and replace said combo.

That is what I don't get Jamo. $500 on bars and stem is just an extravagance. So why try and save money on the stuff that will make a bigger difference to the bike than bar and stem. It seems a waste to have all the good gear except for the drive train.

Is this for the BMC? Thought about SRAM or Campag?

How far and how often do you ride? What are you aiming to get out of cycling? Ever going to race?
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Hhhm OK bit blind but shall try to answer. Currently I've two Roadies.

Janis - Sora/Tiagra pretty average components in general.
Bonnie - 105 brand spanking new.

Now it annoys me like hell that my full carbon bike has alloy bars/stem so I'm gonna fix that. Illogical I know but I farken hate being annoyed. My thought is if I upgrade Bonnie to full Ultegra I can switch the 105 set to Janis which will be a huge upgrade for her along with making Bonnie even sexier. Win win. At the moment 500 bucks doesn't even pay for a box of my sticks so I reckon I drop that on the bike and smoke less for a while once again win win.

Janis will then see usage 2-3 times a week doing my work commute about 60KM a day. Bonnie will be my weekend big ride bike, at the very least 120KM at a time. I am actually quite interested in starting doing events and races in the new year. I really enjoy getting out by myself or with friends on the bike and find it extremely enjoyable and relaxing.

Don't really know much about mechanical shit but I do like Shimano stuff so I think I'll stick to it as it's never let me down.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Jamo wrote:Hhhm OK bit blind but shall try to answer. Currently I've two Roadies.

Janis - Sora/Tiagra pretty average components in general.
Bonnie - 105 brand spanking new.

Now it annoys me like hell that my full carbon bike has alloy bars/stem so I'm gonna fix that. Illogical I know but I farken hate being annoyed. My thought is if I upgrade Bonnie to full Ultegra I can switch the 105 set to Janis which will be a huge upgrade for her along with making Bonnie even sexier. Win win. At the moment 500 bucks doesn't even pay for a box of my sticks so I reckon I drop that on the bike and smoke less for a while once again win win.

Janis will then see usage 2-3 times a week doing my work commute about 60KM a day. Bonnie will be my weekend big ride bike, at the very least 120KM at a time. I am actually quite interested in starting doing events and races in the new year. I really enjoy getting out by myself or with friends on the bike and find it extremely enjoyable and relaxing.

Don't really know much about mechanical shit but I do like Shimano stuff so I think I'll stick to it as it's never let me down.

All makes perfect sense. Good man.

You should come down here one weekend. Always looking for people to ride with.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Jamo wrote:Don't really know much about mechanical shit but I do like Shimano stuff so I think I'll stick to it as it's never let me down.
Great plan Jamo & your last comment is exactly why many stick with the tackle company every time. ;)
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Got the Ultegra Groupset and carbon Pedals. Bloody hell it's light! Will advise when on the Bike and good to go.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill