Lytro - adjustable focus

ARSE's photographers and arts forum
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Lytro - adjustable focus

Post by durbster »

I spotted this while perusing the www the other day:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/lytro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess the march of digital kit and faster processors means there may be some huge leaps in photography and I thought this looked really interesting. The idea of allowing you to set the focus after the picture is snapped sounds amazing to me but I'm a layman :)

I see it's been out for a while so is/was there a buzz about it in photography world?
Gougoodthing
Call me Nancy

Re: Lytro - adjustable focus

Post by Gougoodthing »

Who knows where we will be in ten or thirty years! While it looks like a clunker now, it's an interesting concept.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Yeah, if you consider the crappy resolution of digital cameras ten years ago it might be a huge deal. I don't know if there are technical reasons the resolution is so low though - it may be a dead end.

Neat concept though :)
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Was chatting to a mate of Twitter who got one for Xmas. They looking fucking great. This is a very exciting time.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

I don't want to sound like a wet blanket but...why do I want one again?
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

J.D. wrote:I don't want to sound like a wet blanket but...why do I want one again?
You probably don't, yet. Give it some time and I reckon they will be awesome. But a lot will depend on what you want to achieve. I don't see the point of 3D films, but people rave about them. Horses for courses.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Isn't the focus one of the last big things that separates the... err... 'proper' photographers from everyone else though?

I know some people get upset about automating things that are traditionally a skill so thought there might be a bit of a backlash from purists.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah like me lol. I don't really like it. I guess the film guys didn't like it when digital hit either. I try not to be a stick in the mud about new tech advancing imaging. I'm all for improved image quality, but not really for anything that promotes the 'fix it later' attitude. I want to spend more time using my camera to make images, less time editing/processing after the fact.

This comes to mind... :D

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

durbster wrote:Isn't the focus one of the last big things that separates the... err... 'proper' photographers from everyone else though?
No, not really. This might be a useful tool for advertising photographers who are looking for a number of possible permutations. I don't know. I'll wait and see what is produced by people who understand this camera better than I do before I make any judgements. Shallow depth of field is extremely popular at the moment but I almost never see any pictures where it contributes anything more than a photographic effect. To my mind it's grossly over-used. Focus? Well, to me it's either in focus or it isn't but after that, the internet tends to evolve such matters into sharpness debates. At that time I usually look for a bucket... :puke:
I know some people get upset about automating things that are traditionally a skill so thought there might be a bit of a backlash from purists.
I don't think either Dex or I are particularly pure! :D

From a "purist" point of view, I would say that gear and taking the picture is the last step in a long process of conceptualisation and problem solving which produces a great photograph. This is the sort of thing which goes way beyond equipment or lighting and delves into the realms of personal interpretation and art. Not many people shoot that way (though I try, I really do). To that end, the gear is not very important. It's just a tool. However, if you're just grabbing something on the spur of the moment, something like this would be potentially quite useful.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Apparently the resolution is really crap when saved to jpg. Pretty rubbish in low light as well I'm told. I wonder how limiting the technology is. I haven't looked into it enough to be honest.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.