Forgot how much fun this game is :D

GPL related chat
hankstar

Forgot how much fun this game is :D

Post by hankstar »

I was happily hotlapping at Brands and Kyalami in the Eagle and thought I'd see if I could still race online without having to hit "sry".
Drove my first VROC race for almost a year. Qualified 2nd in a Pro 12-lapper at Silverstone and managed a third in the Fez 312. Ended up last at T1 due my own silliness, chased an Eagle who crashed and burned, chased a slow-ass Cooper for about 5 laps until he did the same, then hunted a fellow Fezza until the last lap and finished behind him by a second. My best was a pretty respectable 1.29.05 but the server went to the newspaper too fast for me to save the replay. Bastards! The winner had a FL of 1.27.7 :faint: I have some practise ahead of me..
Silverstone is so much goddam fun, and so is the 67 Ferrari - never raced it that much because of my Eagle obsession, but she's just gorgeous! I'm stoked I can still control these bastards :nod:
Just thought I'd share. I've been S2 crazy for months, but I discovered I can't really compete with the aliens (not really a problem, it's the same in GPL) and I can't race with a big field on dial-up like I can with GPL.
So I fired it up today and presto! The old skills are still there and just needed to be woken up :D
Now I must decide how to split my time between S2 (fun yet fictional cars, good close races, horns) and The One Sim To Rule Them All (oh my god speed, turning with the right foot, great sounds (if they're do0gs :)), the greatest race cars EVER - just too good) :)
:tilt:
jarmel

Post by jarmel »

Ive decided not to buy another racing sim eva as gpl owns them all for pure driving pleasure , excitment and feel .

I'm in a 65 comp atm and lovin it :)
David Piglos Shaw
Pig
Pig

Post by David Piglos Shaw »

So we might see you in the chatroom at 8:30ish on Tuesday Hank?
hankstar

Post by hankstar »

Could do mate .. 65s or 67s? Just so I know which ones to remember how to drive :)
David Piglos Shaw
Pig
Pig

67s
hankstar

Post by hankstar »

wo0t. Track?
David Piglos Shaw
Pig
Pig

Depends on what is available. We often gatecrash something with a reasonable ping.
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

jarmel wrote:Ive decided not to buy another racing sim eva as gpl owns them all for pure driving pleasure , excitment and feel .
I'd agree and I reckon that's a pretty sorry state of affairs. Think about it, the field of racing sims has had damn near 7 years of nil progress. With 3rd party upgrades I reckon GPL even has most of the competition graphically. It's pathetic.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Jamo wrote:
jarmel wrote:Ive decided not to buy another racing sim eva as gpl owns them all for pure driving pleasure , excitment and feel .
I'd agree and I reckon that's a pretty sorry state of affairs. Think about it, the field of racing sims has had damn near 7 years of nil progress. With 3rd party upgrades I reckon GPL even has most of the competition graphically. It's pathetic.
Im wading into the deep end here, but I reckon S2 is just as much fun, if not more. It caters for all levels of racer, unlike GPL.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

LFS out does GPL in almost every way. Unless your a buff of certain era's, and like liscensed tracks and cars etc. I peronally started disliking the 67 cars as soon as i tried the 65's, and can't go back now, but the 65's are my fav car in any game as far as fun and the 'feel' goes. I don't have as much fun in LFS, but it does do a hell of a lot of stuff better than GPL did. GPL's biggest problem is the community is dwindling away, so local races are much harder now, they have to be organised to get a decent size feild, unlike the old days when you'd just rock up and there'd be a big choice of servers, now that's what LFS is going through.
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

I have a sneaking suspicion that the 69's will re-kindle the GPL movement.

Personally, I've done next to no GPL'in in a good while now... become a bit of an internet poker junkie.

Glad to hear that your getting back into it Hank and that there is life after the faithfull old Beagle :nod:
hankstar

Post by hankstar »

For my cash, you can't beat real tracks and real cars. No matter how much I get into LFS and how many months on end I thrash it (just recently for example), GPL (especially '65) always grabs me right back. That or netKar.
norbs wrote: Im wading into the deep end here, but I reckon S2 is just as much fun, if not more. It caters for all levels of racer, unlike GPL.
There's no denying S2's a great sim, but I've encountered far too many racers (on public servers) who are at the lowest possible level of driving skill and aren't shy about displaying it. Since my conX can't handle large grids I can't run in comps just yet either. Bummer dude.

Hey Johnny! Just as I was getting to know the Beagle again, I remembered the wooden front wheels of 1967 and hopped into a '65 comp with some old chums :) Like a lot of people, I'm waiting for the '69 and Le Mans mods. I reckon they'll whip serious ARSE :nod: And if they ever finish 1955 and 1937 before I die - woohoo!

Jamo, you have a good point - all this time and 1998's GPL is still referred to as THE benchmark race sim (regardless of the small but obsessive compulsive band of hardcores who still play it). Imagine if Wolfenstein 3D was still the benchmark in PC shooters? :eek: I think David Wright made a similar point on RSC - if people are still thrashing GPL in 5 years, it'll be pretty sad for the sim world if nothing has surpassed it by then. At the same time, it's a great illustration of the insane GPL community. Mr OCD himself, Jim Pearson, is currently creating, from scratch mind you, the FULL Isle of Man race course ... all 37 miles / 60km of it :yikes:
David Piglos Shaw
Pig
Pig

Not to mention the Tasman mod, which I am looking forward to being finished for lots of reasons.
Better front grip than the 65s, and about 85% power of the 67s.
Not to mention some pretty reasonable looking cars.
Things should speed up a bit if the cavalry arrives. :)
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

As you can imagine David I'm really looking forward to the Tasman Mod. Especially since I've not looked at it at all yet as it looks so bloody complex to get it all up and running and I've simply no time to mess around with it.

The pain of getting GPL'65 to work is still fresh. Christ I hate that GEM program.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
David Piglos Shaw
Pig
Pig

Ah it's not complex. Just start with a papy carset, and do one car at a time. So just delete all the files in each car folder except the dat, and follow the yellow brick road. Steffen has made it all very easy. You know you want that Alfa throbbing behind each ear. :)
vipergod
Dumb ARSE

Post by vipergod »

65 Mod hard to install?????
I read heaps of people were having probs i got that and Thundercars in and running no probs
Just posted it to rub in that a dummy like me can do it :lol:
I don't care what ya say GPL still rocks
hankstar

Post by hankstar »

Even I managed it! And the Thundercars mod too - after only needing to ask for help once at RSC :D

If any of you guys want some '65 action, some of my lot are practising for our fun race at Thruxton tonight around 7.30 AEST in iGOR. The fun race is this Thursday. We're alternating fun races with points rounds and blow-ins are always welcome for the fun ones. Last one was at Falkenberg in Coopers and it was a blast! They're a sweet little car for the short tracks.

Next Thursday is a points round at Mexico, and there may be some praccy races there between now and then too, so keep an eye on iGOR.

There are some really good drivers in ozraces and I've been in some wicked scraps. The competition's been a blast, especially now that I'm starting to get some points. We're pretty much GPL'65 only at this stage, but some of the members with decent rigs are starting regular rFactor races too..

Introduce yourself: http://www.ozraces.org
Fresh meat is always welcome.

PS: tonight's server will probably be Mike Holland's and isn't pw'd. To chat you'll need to add an 'ozraces' channel in iGOR.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

I had a run of GPl the other day while helping SiD get set up, we ran a few laps at Monza. I was suprised by how smoothly i was getting back into it, my first flyer was near fautless, i came out of Parabolica and expected a 31 or something(in Coopers) and up popped a 1.42!! SiD bailed around then so i did a quick offline practice to see why i was so slow, when i jumped in the car and headed out of the pits it was like a fucking monster, then i realised for some odd reason i must have been in the trainer before that, hence i was so smooth and slow :D Doh! It's funny how time out of the car makes you completely forget how it used to be, enough to trick me into thinking i was doing great. :fall:
hankstar

Post by hankstar »

Had a similar experience last night. Hopped into VROC and saw a pack of ARSEs hanging around and started chatting. They were going for a run at Reims on Dave's server and were nice enough to wait for me to d/l and install it. After a few excursions into the long grass and trips down those hairpin escape road I started to remember it. The last 3 - 4 laps were bloody fantastic, me wringing the neck of my Eagle and Bluesy catching me in his, eventually getting right up my ARSE and coming very very close to nailing me a couple of times (mostly because I was braking way too hard for T1 - he did bloody well to avoid destroying my out-of-practice butt actually). On the last lap Bluesy met the infamous Reims grass and I ended up taking the checks, but not by much. Another lap and he would've owned me. It was a great little scrap and brought back memories of the ARSE '67 Summer Handicap of a coupla years ago :) Great stuff, good onya Dave :yes: I may start lurking in VROC a bit more ...

Front tyres like wooden cartwheels or not, the Eagle will always be my first love :)