Ford Australia shutdown?

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Ford Australia shutdown?

Post by Exar Kun »

All the big news agencies are reporting Ford is expected to announce closure of local manufacturing for Ford at a press conference this morning.

It's a shame and I guess there are many factors. Why they didn't build the Focus locally when the writing was well and truly on the wall for large cars is a bit of a mystery.

That'll be a lot of people out of work...
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Santaria

Re: Ford Australia shutdown?

Post by Santaria »

Add into that economic viability and you've got a loss. As much as it sucks to say it, Aussie wages are far greater than in places that can do the same work for a quarter of the wage.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

One outlet is saying October 2016 whilst another is saying October 16th this year. The this year option actually makes more sense as Ford were looking to facelift the Falcon next year but why bother now?
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

My finance lecturer reckons the problem with manufacturing in Aus isn't wages it's the inability to look forward and future proof.

He sites the cotton industry here which pays $2.50 from each bale of cotton (which happens to be matched by the Gov) toward R&D, have been doing so for many years.

It's turned the Aus cotton industry into a world leader.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

just flicked the tv on for the 10.45am press conference. What was on? Ford ad LOL
--------------
Stu
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Vilante wrote:My finance lecturer reckons the problem with manufacturing in Aus isn't wages it's the inability to look forward and future proof.
Indeed. However, with the way car manufacturers are rationalising their model lineups to have a single car in each segment worldwide, it doesn't leave much scope for the locals to design and manufacture anything. The Cruze is only a moderate success for Holden but it certainly is helping them stay afloat.

Looks like it'll be 2016 from more reports that are coming through. I guess they'll push through the Falcon facelift but will it suffer from the same fate as the 380 as people don't want to buy the last of the breed?

I wonder how this will affect local suppliers? It would hardly be viable for them anymore and would ensure that Toyota and Holden source all their stuff from China in future.
Last edited by Exar Kun on Thu May 23, 2013 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

I guess the hand outs from the Government just were not enough..
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

October 2016 confirmed. They'll still do the facelift next year and 1200 jobs expected to go.
richo

Post by richo »

Ford Australia can't survive on heavily discounted fleet sales or Holden for that matter. We have been lucky for a long time to have vehicles designed and built for what is really a small market .

Sad day but long coming .
[]D [] []v[] []D
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I'm a bit surprised at the hype around this, it's been coming for a long time that's for sure, I've had suppliers I deal with telling me as early as 12 months ago that Ford Australia would not survive beyond 2016, if the company has been losing 100 million a year for the last 5 it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out what the outcome will be.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

The jobs of the car industry suppliers will be shit load more than the ford redundancies. Can't understand why tariffs were ever lifted, our standard of living brings larger wages, the tariffs should reflect the gap...manufacturing in this country is indeed in trouble..not just thge car industry...
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

This means Shaun is going to be in trouble with engines soon.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
petey

Post by petey »

It has always been the way, since invention. A car is a symbol of wealth first and a means of transportation second.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

The unions pushed hard on the independent parts suppliers also, so all the builders were only getting a few from the same people..

Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.