Anyone know much about mountain bikes?

CyclARSEts talk in here.
Coopz
King of the Wierd
King of the Wierd

Anyone know much about mountain bikes?

Post by Coopz »

After the last 6-7 years of road riding I've got the offroad bug again and want to invest in a 29er MTB. I just like riding dirt tracks and fire trails, not interested in some of the extreme stuff as I have no bravery or skill.
Spent the last 2 weeks looking around at the local bike shops. Originally I wanted to spend under $500 on a bike but quickly found you don't get much for your money in that price range. A BH Peak has caught my attention and I was about to put a deposit on it when a riding nut at work said I should get a Hasa bike as they are unbeatable in value. Never heard of the brand but did some research and a few people on bike forums have them and are pleased with their purchase.
Anyone know much about them? Spec wise they are a level up in almost every area on the BH bike I was going to get and are exactly the same price.
Really want a 29er sized bike as well as I'm 6'5 tall.

http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/hasa- ... ke/GAL-DEO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
norbs wrote:
Stop bullying him. You have more birthdays each year than he gets roots!
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: Anyone know much about mountain bikes?

Post by norbs »

I thought you might have more luck in here Coopz
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Hz knows plenty about mountain bikes.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

I don't know how heavy you are, but you might want to factor that in to what you need. Frame, cranks and wheelset are the main things with taller/heavier folks. Then try to get your budget to fit :)

If you're only spending $700, you're probably going to struggle to get something strong enough to handle much more than relatively smooth singletrack. At least, that's in my experience.
Luigi only likes Ferraris.
Coopz
King of the Wierd
King of the Wierd

Post by Coopz »

Pinger$ wrote:I don't know how heavy you are, but you might want to factor that in to what you need. Frame, cranks and wheelset are the main things with taller/heavier folks. Then try to get your budget to fit :)

If you're only spending $700, you're probably going to struggle to get something strong enough to handle much more than relatively smooth singletrack. At least, that's in my experience.

Yeah that might be a factor for me as I'm on the big side, 6'5 tall and 98kg.
Was leaning towards the Hasa as it has a Shimano Deore gear/crank which I think is above average in the quality dep.
norbs wrote:
Stop bullying him. You have more birthdays each year than he gets roots!
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

I know how to crash em pretty well.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I had a quick look at the Hasa bikes when I was last at Cyclingdeal picking up some parts, the frames looked pretty solid to me but to be honest I didn't look at it as hard as I would have if I was buying, but in saying that I have heard similar things Coopz, in that they are pretty good value and not your typical Chinese garbage.

There is the option of the second hand market, if you keep your eyes open you can pick up some good bargains at Ebay and Gumtree. I bought my '04 Kona Dawnmatic off Ebay for $450, and while it's old it falls down hills the same as my mates with bikes 10 years newer and worth 4 times the price.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Should be able to pick up last years Giant Talon 29er in a shop pretty cheap.

Specialized Carve are an awesome value for money bike which is odd from specialized!

Cant help you much on the BH or Hasa sorry I havent eveb heard of the Hasa before!