Terrorgraph kicks an own goal

CyclARSEts talk in here.
Crowella

Re: Terrorgraph kicks an own goal

Post by Crowella »

Meh, they're just bored because they've got nothing else to campaign about. These sort of things do nothing, they rile up commuters for as long as they can keep their interest (here's a hint, not very long) then they forget about it. I suppose with Australia going liberal, having Clover Moore is like the devil, despite the fact she remains popular in the city, probably because she does well? :nod:

The Daily Telegraph is ridiculously Anti-Moore it's not funny. I can't understand why anyone would want to drive in central Sydney anyway? It's an absolute nightmare and if I had the option I'd rather be on a bike to get through there or at least a train.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

it does get somewhat tiresome reading the same old crap, backed by the same old disinformation..

I would care less about it, except that for the most part following any of these types of articles/tv reports there's a fairly noticeable increase in aggression on the roads. eg, after the recent Derryn Hinch crap, aka "cockroaches on wheels", I reckon I was shouted at, if not cut off or forced towards the gutter every day during the next week. As you say though, the attention span of these morons is thankfully short :)
Swain OHaw

Post by Swain OHaw »

The British Terrorgraph is at it as well ... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/r ... heels.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

For what it's worth, the response has been pretty negative for this latest anti-cycling campaign. So maybe there's some hope.

Here's the media watch transcript if you're interested.
http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transc ... 854796.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

also there's a pretty good rebuttal of the UK Telegraph article:
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... ycra-louts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Swain OHaw

Post by Swain OHaw »

No need to apologise, I totally agree - hack journalism at it's worst. A one-sided non-story filled with cliches and factually incorrect assertions ... the idea that it's a cyclist which makes taking blind bends at 60mph dangerous is my favourite part. And such ideas are exactly how a lot of people think. (I don't want to say all cyclists are angels - we're not - and nor that all motorists are demons - they're [and hopefully on the occasions when I am one, we're] not. There are idiots in both camps who take real or perceived ills too far - but the difference is that one set can kill. There are also people who are not idiots but perhaps don't think enough about their actions - and again these exist in both camps, but again, the damage caused by one group can be far more severe, and that group is considerably larger.) As well as ill-considered and irresponsible journalism, cyclists behaving badly does influence their perception amongst motorists and the next time they see a cyclist, they remember the one who gave them the bird (this is why I prefer the ironic thumbs up gesture, where possible) or jumped the red light, or cycled down the one-way street the wrong way, and they act on that - totally hypocritically as these people don't treat all car drivers as the one who cut them up, didn't indicate, ran a red light, sped past them in a speed limited area, etc. Cyclists are an easy target if you're not one of them, and major newspapers pumping out articles full of the worst kind of uninformed arguments against one particular group is just lousy.

Also, yes that's the Olympic road race being used to demonstrate cyclists riding in country lanes ... and the original caption implied that it was something other than an organised international sporting event. Also, another article on the Terrorgraph site described the ITU Triathlon event as being attended by large crowds up to ten deep. Hypocrisy as well as stupidity, naturally.

The handy 'someone else posted while you were typing' feature kicked in, and yes, along with a tonne of comments - not all of them sensible, the Guardian has delivered a decent reply.

This is also funny because it's true ... http://aseasyasridingabike.wordpress.co ... -bicycles/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;