Under the Dome

Chat about stuff you've seen
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Under the Dome

Post by Big Kev »

Watched the first episode of this last night on recommendation from a friend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_ ... _series%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not too bad.
It's based on a Stephen King book about a US village where an invisible dome suddenly turns up and cuts them off from everyone else.

Although the first episode set it up quite well and I fancy watching another couple, on reading wikipedia it looks like they've already commissioned a second series of another 13 episodes. This puts me off a bit. The US networks have a tendency of dragging stories out a bit too much for my liking. Lost was a great idea but spread over 120 episodes it got way too big and complicated to follow what was going on. It would have been a lot better to wrap it up in 10-20.

The dome one already has a couple of very Lost-like characters in it too. There's a rough and ready guy a bit like Sawyer who is obviously a bit dodgy and a flame haired lovely who seems to have taken a shine to him (very similar to Kate), and a manipulative psycho nutter reminiscent of the leader of the Others in Lost. And there already seem to be some things linking other characters that they don't know about yet.

So I dunno. I might stick with it for a couple more episodes and see if it grabs me. The US ratings seemed to slide from week to week and I suspect this will probably do the same when people feel it's getting over elaborate. Decent idea for a story so far but I think it'll get too long and tenuous.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
petey

Re: Under the Dome

Post by petey »

Didn't really read your post. Misses read the book so we decided to watch it.

It feels like it will be as dragged out as lost. We've stopped watching as of episode 7.

The story really is not one that should be extended.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

I'm still watching. It not bad, a bit slow. Missus has read the book and apart from the character names, the show doesn't follow the book (but there is a dome)
--------------
Stu
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

I would rather watch my own dome!
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Lost interest after the 4th episode.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

I saw the second episode last night and yeah it's a bit slow.
We didn't really learn anything new.

The vicar is dodgy and a house burnt down and that was about it. I'll stick it out for another couple to see if it gets any better.
My Flickr Stream
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

It's just "LOST" in a Dome. :p
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

This show is getting worse and worse, but I feel too far committed to stop now without finding out the 'answer'. Hopefully they wrap it up in one season. Lost was bloody awesome (for the first few seasons).. this is just... not.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

kwijibo wrote:This show is getting worse and worse, but I feel too far committed to stop now without finding out the 'answer'. Hopefully they wrap it up in one season. Lost was bloody awesome (for the first few seasons).. this is just... not.
They've already commissioned a 13 episode second series.
My Flickr Stream
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Big Kev wrote:
kwijibo wrote:This show is getting worse and worse, but I feel too far committed to stop now without finding out the 'answer'. Hopefully they wrap it up in one season. Lost was bloody awesome (for the first few seasons).. this is just... not.
They've already commissioned a 13 episode second series.
:fall:
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

Admittedly, I was eager to respond with my dislike for this show before reading all of the initial post :D

My missus insists we stick with it.. but the prospect of sitting through another series might be incentive to give up
petey

Post by petey »

Yeah I got the impression it was heading for multi season and that was when I lost faith, that and the ridiculous plot twists everytime you thought it was starting to get to a head.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Yeah a lot of these series would be much better if they were just like a very long film and wrapped up in 10-20 episodes. Otherwise you end up making the stories way too convoluted for people to keep track of and, as they see, the audience figures drop off when people realise it's stringing out too much.
My Flickr Stream
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

i doubt it would be worth the money for them to just do a 1 season series. It would be brilliant to do some things like that though.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

We've tried watching this and I think we just got to episode 4 and I can't take any more. It's just too absurd.

Ironically, the dome I'm absolutely fine with; it's the characters that I find unconvincing. Nobody in the history of mankind has ever reacted to a crisis like the people in this show do. It's the simple things, such as the foxy ginger journalist lady barging into the radio show and putting herself on air. Who would do that?

There was a TV film on here a couple of weeks ago called Blackout, which was about what might happen if the UK's electricity supply failed. The characters in that were entirely believable. Nobody in Under the Dome is.

Under the Dome really bugged me because it's from seeing dumb US TV like this that makes me skip shows like Breaking Bad, which I've also just started watching and think is excellent.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

I was drifting away from it but now the last 2 episodes have been a bit better and (finally!!!) pushed the story a long a bit but I still don't fancy the prospect of another 10-20 episodes of another series.

Least 2 convincing characters for me at the moment are the psycho kid and Barbie. Neither seem menacing enough for what their characters are supposed to be.
My Flickr Stream