Samsung, LG introduce OLED TVs

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
J.D.
Rat

Samsung, LG introduce OLED TVs

Post by J.D. »

Yes; they're hideously expensive for the time being and they are only 1080 panels, again for time being. Perhaps the timing is not too good, with the price of 4K coming down like an elevator with the cable cut. Sooner or later we'll see the ultimate TV for movie buffs: a 4K OLED.

http://www.cnet.com.au/samsung-kn55s9c-339345312.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.cnet.com.au/lg-55ea9800-curv ... 345633.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Having seen how deep the blacks are on OLED, I can totally understand why plasma is on the way out (apart from the fact that it has trouble displaying 4K).
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Re: Samsung, LG introduce OLED TVs

Post by r8response »

Why curve the screen?
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

"Enhanced viewing experience" apparently...

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Makes perfect sense :fall:
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

r8response wrote:Why curve the screen?
Minimise reflection possibly??? I know I still can't come to grips with glossy computer screens because I can't stand looking at my ugly mug in it while trying to work.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

r8response wrote:Why curve the screen?
I'm thinking its two things realistically, 1) because OLED is easier to "print" onto curved displays and 2) to create another level of uniqueness which intern hopefully creates extra perceived value when a consumer comes to laying down the cash.

* The plastic, organic layers of an OLED are thinner, lighter and more flexible than the crystalline layers in an LED or LCD

As for the "Enhanced viewing experience"... what a load of BS. Thinking about the size (55") and the typical viewing distance... yeah, yeah for enhancement... bloody pigs!
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Are these anything like the amoled displays you find in phones? Can't stand the over saturated colours on them, would hope oled tvs don't have the same issue.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Sarsippius wrote:Are these anything like the amoled displays you find in phones? Can't stand the over saturated colours on them, would hope oled tvs don't have the same issue.
+1
I to can't stand the OLED's in the current gen handsets.
Way too bright & vivid so gives me the feeling it's artificially enhanced & fake. Not natural...
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

That's what sells. Like it or not... put an over saturated and high contrast (crushed blacks and blown highlights) LED TV next to a good plasma, and watch what people think are better.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Presumably and unlike phone screens, they will be adjustable to taste.

There would be little point otherwise.

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

DexterPunk wrote:That's what sells. Like it or not... put an over saturated and high contrast (crushed blacks and blown highlights) LED TV next to a good plasma, and watch what people think are better.

Very true & is why I have a plasma TV. Which I will try to keep for as long as is possible.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

That Aquos thing I got a few years back was like a Disney movie when I first used it. I set the picture to natural and it is great!

Having worked as a Foxtel installer, I can tell you that Dex has it right. Some people had TVs setup to give them a fucking tan. It was like high volume for your eyes. :eyepop:
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.