Sore Legs

CyclARSEts talk in here.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Sore Legs

Post by nutty »

So,

I just wanted to ask about sore legs, at this stage anytime I do any serious riding im still pulling up with really sore legs for a day or two after (mostly in the quads)

I was just wondering when/if that ever goes? Im averaging ~100km a week over the last month so but a 30km ride will normally be enough to set me off.

Is it likely I just poor technique/posture on the bike? its not fitted correctly? is it just just something that more riding will help with?

Ta
markus

Re: Sore Legs

Post by markus »

nutty wrote:So,

I just wanted to ask about sore legs, at this stage anytime I do any serious riding im still pulling up with really sore legs for a day or two after (mostly in the quads)

I was just wondering when/if that ever goes? Im averaging ~100km a week over the last month so but a 30km ride will normally be enough to set me off.

Is it likely I just poor technique/posture on the bike? its not fitted correctly? is it just just something that more riding will help with?

Ta
Any post-ride stretching ?
Much cycling such kilometers.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Yea, I generally do a bit before and after the ride.. Guess it's not enough, I normally just do around two min of basic quads and calf stuff
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

When you say quads, where specifically is the pain, I tend to get sore just above the inside of the knee if I don't have the seat height just right, 10mm either way makes a huge difference to how soon this pain comes on, and of course how long it lasts afterward. As others have said, look to a bike fit, and just more miles in the saddle with the aim to climbing hills to build some strength if it's just muscle soreness rather than an injury.

Take everything I've said with a grain of salt, it's just based on my own learning experience of trying to get fitter over the last year or so, but hopefully some of it's right, I tend to recover overnight now after going for a hard ride, but this could just mean I need to step it up another level, although I'm not sure how since I can't seem to get my arse past about 2 hours in the saddle because of the pain but that's another topic for discussion.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

I normally ride @ around 70 CPM, I got my first bike fitted, but it felt a bit rough.. I watched a few youtube videos and it looks like my problem is my seat is a little too low.

Ill do a proper fit with a tape measure tonight and see if it improves, but it sounds like somthing is wrong rather than just being "new" to it
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

avro707c wrote:If suggest a fit by the likes of Steve Hogg.

70rpm is pretty low. My rpm is usually around average 85rpm, but I average the zeros too, so I'm usually spinning at 100rpm or more. It's easier.

I agree that it is better, but easier, not sure about that.

It took me years to be able to spin at 100RPM with out my arse lifting off the saddle all the time. Pedaling technique comes into it once you are going above 80RPM imho.

Oh, Nutty. I have been back on the bike since 2009 and I am still sore a lot of the time. Not enough to stop me going up steps, but I can feel it if I do a 200km week. A few weeks back I did 67kms on Sat and Sun. My legs were sore for days. Not killing me, but I could feel them.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Thanks for the advice all, I will start looking at upping my RPM and checkout Steve Hogg!
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I must be a sook, I have one of those foam rollers for stretching my back, but every time I try it on my quads it hurts like a bitch and I can't take it. :rofl:
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

nutty wrote:Thanks for the advice all, I will start looking at upping my RPM and checkout Steve Hogg!
there are plenty of resources online about bike fit, so you should be able to get it ball park correct without getting out your wallet. where a professional bike fit is helpful is when you need different components to make the fit work (eg, stem length, handlebar drop and width). during a bike fit session you can try a range of components.

regarding cadence, it's all about being consistent. Ideally you would be spinning at about 85-95 rpm, or even higher. If you can't maintain that and still feel comfortable, then start slower. Even if you just try to maintain 80rpm without bouncing around on the saddle, that'll be an improvement. I think it'd be a big jump to go from pedalling at 70rpm to say 100rpm, and wouldn't be surprised if your whole technique went to shit in attempting to do so.