VPN Modem Routers

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
richo

VPN Modem Routers

Post by richo »

Oh Lords of knowledge hear my cries!

Got to set up a multi branch store and ancient software they run can only work between branches via VPN so I need a couple of VPN modem routers and A: I have no clue what to get and B: Absolutely no clue how to set it up.

Any help would be appreciated.
[]D [] []v[] []D
Montey

Re: VPN Modem Routers

Post by Montey »

Hi richo,

If you don't have experience setting up VPN's they can be a biatch (IPSEC, the VPN standard, was designed by committee).

There are companies that operate in your area (including mine) that can help but who you use and what technology you go for will in large part depend on your budget.

At a minimum, you're going to need a firewall or router device acting as a VPN concentrator at each site. Then you're going to need to get them configured.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
richo

Post by richo »

Oh fuck .... never wanted this job. Thanks Montey

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
[]D [] []v[] []D
richo

Post by richo »

I was looking at billion 7800vdox routers if thats of any help?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
[]D [] []v[] []D
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

What Montey said.. have fun.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I had to learn a lot of this years ago when I was helping out with tech support for Billion in their early days in Aus but I've long forgotten everything I learnt.

Just on the Billion side of things, I'm not sure if I'm reading your description right, do you need just a single VPN setup, or multiple concurrent VPN connections from several sites to a single server? If it's the latter, I'm not sure how it will fare, they are more suited to just single connections as far as I know.

Have a read of this, while it was written a few years ago now, the actual settings should work on the later models just the same.

http://au.billion.com/downloads/firmwar ... ec-FAQ.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Montey

Post by Montey »

Personally, I think you need to go up the food chain a little bit. Billion and the like are designed for, at most, home office scenarios; they are not designed for stable commercial (permanently up) scenarios.

You should probably investigate solutions from Juniper or Cisco. For each store, your probably looking at around $1,000 to $2,000 in hardware & licensing, plus some setup costs from an experienced professional (so anticipate up to $4K per store). Assuming that each of these stores is to connect their software back to a central server, then the central site may require something a little more capable (VPN concentrators are limited in the number of concurrent connections based on their processing ability), so don't be surprised if you need something more in the $5,000 to $10,000 range by the time you include some setup costs.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
richo

Post by richo »

Thankfully the stores don't want to go the VPN route anymore as one of the stores is in the country with pretty unreliable internet and when they finally worked out that without internet theres no remote computer to sell off they abandoned ship.

Thank Christ :)
[]D [] []v[] []D