Purchasing new tyres for small car - recommendations?

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
plastik8

Purchasing new tyres for small car - recommendations?

Post by plastik8 »

Hi Guys

I need to replace all 4 tyres on my 2006 Kia Cerato (4 door, front wheel drive, 4cyl 2.0L). Tyre size is 185/65/R15

I have had a good read of another thread to get some good info on tyre size info, types etc. viewtopic.php?f=48&t=14761&p=262408&hilit=tyre#p262408" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Currently 95% of driving is in the city, under 60km/h. We (my wife and I) do about 12,500km per year, however within 12 months we will be living in the Hills, which means 30km freeway driving plus city driving. For me, noise level & longevity are the two most important characteristics, of course assuming safety is of an acceptable level. (i.e. I don't want / need top performing grip, just enough to be acceptable).

So far I've narrowed down the list to:

GT Radial Champiro Ecco (~$137 ea - http://www.gtradial.com.au/contentpage.aspx?pageID=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
- These tyres scored very well in a recent Choice review, were 3rd place amongst many tyres, and were the cheapest in top 10. Only thing that Choice cannot test is longevity - do these cheap tyres retain their good performance after 10,000 km? 20,000 km?

Good Year Opti-Life ($149 ea - http://www.ktas.com.au/tyres/brand-good ... /18565r15/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
- K-Mart exclusive. Guaranteed for 50,000km, however must take car back every 10k km to get a free check up, wheel balance and rotation, and if required, a non-free wheel alignment (I'm guessing they will force you to get one every time). If tread runs out before 50k km, then they will give pro-rata credit to re-purchase same or similar tyres.
- I've heard the tyres are "OK", but are a bit on the noisy side.

Couple of questions;
- Has anyone tried the above tyres by any chance?
- How often do you get a wheel alignment performed (on your everyday car)? (Reason I'm asking: I think Kmart would force you to get the wheel alignment done every 10,000km in order to retain the warranty .... is this normal?)
- Has anyone used GT Radial tyres before?
- Any other recommendations in similar price bracket? And if so, why? How many km have you got from them and how often do you have wheel alignment performed?

Cheers guys!
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Re: Purchasing new tyres for small car - recommendations?

Post by Exar Kun »

Those prices seem high. I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport 3s (PP3) on my Clio which is 195/50 R15 and they're only $140 each. That's for a performance-ish tyre that's excellent in the wet, very quiet and lasts a very long time. Mine were from Costco but i'm sure you could negotiate a good price from another tyre place. I can't comment on those tyres listed, just that for $140 a corner in that size you should be able to get a very good all rounder without having to compromise.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

No, No.
Not had a wheel alignment since I got my latest wheels 4 years ago where put on my rims, and then it only needed a 1/16th turn on the drivers side tyre rod.
No.
The tyres that where on the can before my last set where over 7 years old and still about 50%tread left about 150k km on them just cracked, showing there age, and the ones I have now are still as good as when I got them, about 60k kms well over 5mil left.

Old, Harder compound
Michelin Certis
205 / 60 R 15 91H
320 Treadwear, Traction A, Temperature A

New, Softer compound
Bridgestone GR-90
205 /60 R 15 91V
260 Treadwear, Traction A, Temperature A

As for the wheel balancing/wheel alignments, depends on the rims and if you hit pot holes and the such. Not much need other then just a check on the wear if it is even, rotating tyres are important when new then less as the less tread you have left on them.

Both tyre choices you have seem fine, though I can not seem to find the treadwears ratings for them. Bigger number harder compound should be longer lasting.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

Thanks for the replies Exar Kun and wobblysauce.

Yes, that particular size is a bit pricey it seems. I ended up booking with Bob Jane and they recommended I go up to a 195/60/R15 over the current 185/65/R15 (overall diameter will be 615mm instead of 621mm), and this brings the price down too, as it must be a more common size. The salesman said that going up a single size is fine, and the diameter difference is within allowable range. I'll take his word for it - unless anyone has any other advice?

I ordered the Yokohama Blue Earth AE01 tyres, $129 a corner. These rated very well in the Choice review.

Interestingly, I could not find the treadwear / traction / temperature ratings for any of the tyres, might ask them when I go in for my own reference.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

I'm not sure which way it will go, but changing the profile while keeping the same rim size will affect the speedo.
It will be 'out' and read a little too low or too high.

*edit*

Based off this site: http://tire-size-conversion.com/speedom ... libration/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It will read lower, but by bugger all....

Carry on. :melt: :D
Steve
---
Dan
Wobbly2.0

Post by Dan »

I went from a 245/40/R19 to a 245/35/R19 and it now reads 5kmh lower, but a smaller wheel should be even less
The Todd Norbury appreciation society
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Dunno about you guys, but both my cars here are reading about 8% off on the speedo. i.e. when it reads 120 I'm doing exactly 110 km/h.
I've double checked it a number of ways, satellite-based devices and roadside speedometers.
I have a feeling it is a 'safety' feature for Australians.

So if you put a different tyre on and you get a higher reading, it might improve things, in fact :)
In any case, the important thing is to know what your speedo is doing, which is easy enough to check with a satellite-based device and cruise control on a flat piece of empty freeway.

sorry for the slight off-topic :)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

I used to have a Hyundai Sports Wagon - one of these things:

http://static.wixstatic.com/media/33c19 ... 362770.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and the best tyres I had on it was Michelin (Energy XM1's back in the day. Now they're up to XM2's). Good for mileage, good gripping tyre and from memory much quieter than the Bridgestones that are on the car that replaced it. I'd recommend any of the Michelin range. I'd ring around about prices, but if you can get any of the Pilot series for decent coin, give it some thought.

http://www.michelin.com.au/Products-Ser ... enger_car/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: too late :melt: