Elder Scrolls Online

General game chat
Dr. Pain

Elder Scrolls Online

Post by Dr. Pain »

I've been playing the beta of this and it's not bad. It feels a little like Skyrim but with fps controls. Your mouse doesn't work in the way it does in a typical mmo. Mouse movement is used for steering/aiming and the mouse buttons are weapon attacks. It works fine until you need to access a skill from the action bar, via 1 2 3 4 5 keys, and you feel like you need an extra hand especially when you take into account that you can dodge using the movement keys. It's a much better control feel than Skyrim though.

Biggest issue is the cost. $90 for the standard edition, $120 for the Imperial edition, a month or free play but then a $15 subscription. This is a lot for something that's a good game but not a great game. Die hard's will play it and people looking for something a little different but I don't expect they'll get too big a crowd for it.

I like it but I'm having a hard time in justifying the cost to pay it.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Santaria

Re: Elder Scrolls Online

Post by Santaria »

I was in the beta this weekend. I was hoping it was going to be good. Unfortunately after level 5 it was just the same generic Mmo in, what I thought, was a dead world. No npc pathing, effects, weather etc. Was pretty bland in my opinion. The combat was fun for a bit though, I'll give it that. Not being able to reset skills when you fuck up is a big no no in my mind. I'm going to wait until it's released and then reassess. It felt like it was a very dumbed down Skyrim with painfully slow progress.

I'll continue to wait and see where Wildstar goes and how it will be. Been playing Rift for while and have shelved it and resubbed back to WoW to do pvp. Not sure how long that will last it always gets so dead at the end of an xpac.

Sent from my Nexus 5
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I think one thing they are doing is leaving it up to the players to explore a lot of the time rather than go here and see this person ect... It's still there like all mmo's have but I found myself running around a lot, a little lost, looking for things. There's going to be a definite grind with this one in the later levels. All done I suspect to keep subscriptions as long as they can.

I think they are keeping some Skyrim events in like turning into vampires and werewolves so that will be interesting to see how that plays out.

You are right about it being bland Santa. It's not up there with WoW or GW2 and even Rift.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Early access is now available. I really ummed and ahhed about getting this but I did and it's growing on me. It's not a game you have a quick blast in I find. Takes a while to explore an area to find quests or raw materials for crafting. I'm so use to other mmo's having nameplates that it's very odd not the have them so I've got health bars active so I can see friend or foe. With out them I just didn't know until combat started. I've died a lot too. Hard to take on two targets at once and I keep missing the number keys for the actions. It's also kind of confusing too what build to go and what skills to have. I've made a few toons and have played them to see what race is best for what class. So far I like being a Templar or a Dragonknight. It is still taking me a while to get use to the mouse not interacting with my action bar. Almost making me wish I had multi button mouse or an extra hand to hit the number keys while still keeping WASD in play for dodging. I think it might be easier to not worry about WASD in combat and just mouse aim and number keys for action bar. That's strange in an mmo as it's reverse of the excepted norm.

I hope they add a nameplate option though as with out it you can't tell what merchant sells what with out interacting with them and you also can't tell what class another player is. You can take a guess but without asking them or seeing them in combat, you don't know. There is an option for add on's though so they may do what WOW did, let others develop add on's and then incorporate them officially down the track. I've been hearing a few people in the game chat saying they like not having them so there needs to be the option of turning it on and off.

Beside's my confusion in the game it's pretty good. It's differences are appealing and I can recommend it for someone looking for a slightly different mmo. It's not really a game for kids unless they are very patient. There's no go here and do this, hold you hand quest tracker, and you don't level, level, LEVEL!!!!! at the speed of light. I've already put in a few hours on one toon and she's only level 7 so it's going to take some time to get to the level cap of 50. I just hope they don't go down that path of nerfing classes to balance the game as it's good as it is.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

I played the betas but Diablo 3 expansion came out and that has stolen my time with the new fixes. ESO was hard to get into the first time and you're right about it growing. The first beta weekend I hated it, the second I went in as a nightblade tanky character and absolutely loved it. Still couldn't bring myself to buy it though due to D3. Might jump in after a few weeks and see if the lag issues have died down. Still waiting for the WoW expansion mostly. Everything is a place holder until then.

Sent from my Nexus 5
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

You on D3 San? Myself and Raz have been giving this a nudge since RoS was released too, send me your tag and I'll add you, I'd send mine but I have no idea what it is since I'm at work.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Shonky wrote:You on D3 San? Myself and Raz have been giving this a nudge since RoS was released too, send me your tag and I'll add you, I'd send mine but I have no idea what it is since I'm at work.
Santaria#1311

I've shelved my WD and leveling a crusader as fast as I can. Low DPS but it's fun!
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I can understand D3 as I've been playing that but not much this week. ESO is having some lag but I'm unsure if it's me or their servers. A few times I've hit a key and nothing where others seem to be moving and fighting. I was trying a Wood Elf Nightblade, playing as an archer, and that was fun. I might have to keep going on that one and leave the Templar and Dragon Knight for a while. If feels better than the beta, as it should, but it's still not polished and I don't think it will be until the console versions are out. Some quests are bugging out but a log out seems to fix it. My guess is they'll tweak it somewhere and somehow but it's fine to play as it is. Just the odd thing pops up every now and then which, as I said, a log out fixes.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I've enjoyed interacting with Queen Ayrenn thinking the woman doing her voice over sounds really nice. It's only Kate Beckinsale who I think is one hell of a woman. She's my Schuey style obession but in a non freaking stalker way lol.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Dr. Pain wrote:I've enjoyed interacting with Queen Ayrenn thinking the woman doing her voice over sounds really nice. It's only Kate Beckinsale who I think is one hell of a woman. She's my Schuey style obession but in a non freaking stalker way lol.
So you don't tweet her the same tweet every few days?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

No. I'm more the old fashion hide in the bushes type.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

The Elder Scrolls Offline. They are doing patches on any day they pick so it's looking like 3 days this week the servers go down @ 10 pm and not back up for hours. a fuck tonne of gold spammers and this thing still feels like a beta with all the patches. It's a good game but they have a lot to learn about running an mmo.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Be aware that if you go to play this your card will have a double hit on it. One is an authorisation hold for the subscription amount you sign up to. This has just royally fucked me over with a debit card. It's not explained at any point when you sign up. I keep my debit card amount low and only put in what I plan to spend as I had my card hacked once. I had $28 on the card to sign up for a $15 per month sub and it didn't work. Not fucking happy with this bullshit!
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I can't believe the fucking bullshit I've gone through this week to try and have a monthly subscription in this game! I set up a monthly sub on Wed for $15 fully aware they will hit me for $30. I set up during 5 free days play I had due to my previous bill issues. Only to find out that the $30 that went out of my account on Wed was to authorise my payment which was due yesterday. I have $28 on my debit card and it failed. So $60 to set up a fucking $15 monthly subscription!

So if you're thinking about trying ESO, don't fucking bother. It's not worth the bullshit.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

I didn't even get past the head start period before I sold my serial.

It was a clusterfuck from the very beginning.