Intermittent Network Problems

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Intermittent Network Problems

Post by Exar Kun »

I'm having intermittent network problems with my work PC. I seem to be the only person in the office with the issues and weirdly enough, the problems only seem to occur in the morning with everything working fine in the afternoon.

As you can see in the attached screenshot, I sometimes get a connection and sometimes don't. It's not a speed problem - when it connects it's fine. It's just that the connection is constantly switching on and off.

Any idea if this is likely to be hardware or software? I have no idea where to look but it's driving me insane as any file I work on can take seconds to respond to selecting any command or doing anything. It makes my whole PC incredibly unresponsive (until the issue clears up in the afternoon).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: Intermittent Network Problems

Post by w00dsy »

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

It could be a million thing, I would try updating driver to start with (as its easiest)

Otherwise swap out Network cable from your computer > wall
Then if that doesnt work patch panel > Switch
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Have switched off and on multiple times!

Thanks - will give those a go and see what happens. Intermittent problems suck to diagnose.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

Switch port issue?
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

It could be that, but if nobody else is having issues its unlikely (at least less unlikely than fault driver/bung network cable)

could be worth swapping into another spare port on the switch
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Yep, I've considered swapping onto a spare port on the switch... but I don't even know which port my PC is currently plugged into!
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I've changed patch cable at my end and updated driver and it seems to be working. But then again, it would weirdly start working fine around lunchtime anyway so I'll have to see if it's still OK in the morning.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

What's Event Viewer got to say for itself?
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

It says lots! But I don't really know what's relevant or what I should be looking for.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

My money is on the patch cable that you have replaced, I'm thinking a broken wire in the cable and with the building warming up it starts working again.