Government Set For Crackdown on Pirates

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
matticooper

Government Set For Crackdown on Pirates

Post by matticooper »

Okay, so we've heard it all before. And there's a fresh new push to crackdown on pirates.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-14/g ... cy/5261404" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, being a bit lacking in the torrent business (aside from downloading/uploading etc), what does it mean for the average Joe? Are they cracking down on Australians downloading from everywhere, including the Private sites life TD, and RU where it's invitation only? Or will they only be able to catch them from the general sites like KAT, BT etc. etc.

And if they're cracking down on everyone everywhere, how does one get around this. I can't imagine everyone here waiting 8 months for a show that come out overseas... such as TopGear...
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: Government Set For Crackdown on Pirates

Post by norbs »

VPN? Seedbox?

You can bet that anything they put in place will be side stepped pretty quickly by the tech heads.

This from a bunch of fuckheads that whinged and moaned when Labor mentioned it.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

They should buy all the boats so no one can be a pirate, arrrrggghhhh.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Buy all the isps

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Doesn't surprise to see the muppets in the liberal party talk about a 3 strikes law even though it's failed in every other country which as introduced it. If they do then I guess tor will get a lot more users. Wonder how the iinet ruling would affect such a scheme. Hopefully they, and some other isp's will fight it again.

A site being invite only doesn't really give any protection. Invites don't seem hard to get.

If it goes through I guess the usage of tor and vpn's will go up :)

Wonder if the US govt. is offering to pay for this one as well
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2011 ... crackdown/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Well, this is looming it seems, based on recent news items, and the Govt could be cracking down by Xmas.

So, time to swap VPN recommendations. I tried a couple of VPNs (Boleh and Tunnelbear) for a short while but couldn't get them to work for me. Tunnelbear just wouldn't connect (just hung) and I couldn't troubleshoot it; and with Boleh I couldn't work out how to connect to my usual P2P preferences.

Anyone able to recommend an effective VPN that doesn't require heaps of technical setup (I'm a click the button sort of user)?

smiss
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

I imagine Markus will probably shred my recommendation to bits, but thus far I am happy with https://www.witopia.net/ (That is a ref link by the way)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I used witopia for a while when BBC had F1 and it worked great for me.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"