IP Security cameras

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

IP Security cameras

Post by norbs »

Anyone have any experience with these. There is so much choice out there, from $29 shitters on Deal Extreme to $250 at the top end.

Basically, I want something I can monitor during the day and if need be, remotely.

Back story. The bride was out the other day and I work in the garage. The front door was locked but the back door was open. I was working in the garage, about 8 metres from the back door. The garage door was nearly all the way down because it was blowing like a bastard. I thought I heard the bride coming down the back steps, so i opened the door to say hello and there was some numpty about to walk in the back door. I challenged him and he said he was looking for Jeff. Then hot footed it back out the side gates. He had a mate waiting out the front. Naturally, this has put the wind up the bride, now everything has to be locked.

There are times that I want the garage door down all the way. Next door mowing the lawns. Westerly winds. Want to keep the dogs out. etc. There are times that I want the garage door down all the way. Next door mowing the lawns. Westerly winds. Want to keep the dogs out. etc. So, I would like a camera pointing down the drive way so I can see what is happening out there during the day.

Anyone got any experience with IP security cameras?
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DarrenM

Re: IP Security cameras

Post by DarrenM »

I looked through basic cameras for the office a while back and ended up getting a cheap dlink DCS-942. They have android and IOS apps you can use to view the feed. Works well enough and wasn't much more than $100.

If you're not worried about recording, motion detection etc then a baby monitor might be a cheaper way to just see what's happening outside. Some of them come with tablet style displays.
norbs

Post by norbs »

I ended up getting one off Mwave.

http://www.mwave.com.au/product/outdoor ... as-aa82147" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I want to put it under the eave of the garage so needed to be weather proof.

Got it yesterday. Had a play and pretty happy. Need to mount it now.

Can see it from any device on our network and might make it viewable externally once I figure out the bandwidth it chews through.

Has infrared which freaked me out when I looked at it last night and saw the bride putting some stuff in the car in the dark.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Guys at work use this
http://www.ispyconnect.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does movement based recording
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

That's freaky, Norbs. I'd actually tell the police about them.
Hell it'd have been a good idea to snap a quick photo of them :D

Thanks for the info on the camera!
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
norbs

Post by norbs »

nutty wrote:Guys at work use this
http://www.ispyconnect.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does movement based recording

Had a couple of people recommend that. Will have a gander. Thanks.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Bit of thread necro I know, but I have been looking into this topic as I want to put up a few cameras around the house to keep track of the yard when we are away; and boy is it confusing! Power over ethernet, ethernet over power, NVRs, cameras with SD cards, wifi, network protocols, jaysus.

Are there any beginner's primers on this topic? I have trawled a little through some 80-page thread on Whirlpool (part 3!) and I'm no clearer! I want to mount three or four cameras that can record stuff day or night, turned on by motion sensing, I want to be able to record stuff from them in HD and view the camera images and recorded stuff remotely through a PC or android device. At the moment it's all too confusing.

I need to wire them right, for power and ethernet (this would have to be safer than having them transmit over wifi) and i imagine I need some kind of interface for them to a router, or PC? Anyway, any simple primer on this would be helpful please - I can't find anything useful on the net so far.
norbs

Post by norbs »

smithcorp wrote:Bit of thread necro I know, but I have been looking into this topic as I want to put up a few cameras around the house to keep track of the yard when we are away; and boy is it confusing! Power over ethernet, ethernet over power, NVRs, cameras with SD cards, wifi, network protocols, jaysus.

Are there any beginner's primers on this topic? I have trawled a little through some 80-page thread on Whirlpool (part 3!) and I'm no clearer! I want to mount three or four cameras that can record stuff day or night, turned on by motion sensing, I want to be able to record stuff from them in HD and view the camera images and recorded stuff remotely through a PC or android device. At the moment it's all too confusing.

I need to wire them right, for power and ethernet (this would have to be safer than having them transmit over wifi) and i imagine I need some kind of interface for them to a router, or PC? Anyway, any simple primer on this would be helpful please - I can't find anything useful on the net so far.
Give me a call Smiss.