Portable Solar USB chargers

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Portable Solar USB chargers

Post by DexterPunk »

Has anyone got any experience with portable solar chargers for camping/trekking etc??? I looked at a few on Amazon and they get really mixed reviews... Everything from 'It actually drains batteries' to 'works really well!'

I'm only looking to charge up my GoPro, and Phone, so I don't need a huge amount of power, although I'm guessing their power output is barely as high as claimed.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: Portable Solar USB chargers

Post by norbs »

DexterPunk wrote:Has anyone got any experience with portable solar chargers for camping/trekking etc??? I looked at a few on Amazon and they get really mixed reviews... Everything from 'It actually drains batteries' to 'works really well!'

I'm only looking to charge up my GoPro, and Phone, so I don't need a huge amount of power, although I'm guessing their power output is barely as high as claimed.
Grab a couple of power banks or what ever they are called.

I have 2 solar power bank things and they take for ever to charge with solar. For ever!

I charge them on power and they are great.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Would they charge in a day Norbs? I'll be out bush for a couple of weeks with the new bike... no power available.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

DexterPunk wrote:Would they charge in a day Norbs? I'll be out bush for a couple of weeks with the new bike... no power available.
If they are flat, no way. Not even close.

Unless you go with those huge fold out suckers.

You could grab one of these... http://www.dx.com/p/mobile-10000mah-sol ... IaLUsmAkYg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; now and test it out.

Maybe one of these to get more value out of the sun. http://www.dx.com/p/10w-usb-4-in-1-sola ... IaL1smAkYg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

Will you have a vehicle near by? 12volt etc. . . i'd just use a standard cigarette/12v usb charger.... every couple of days, kick the engine over to make sure you haven't drained the car battery...

If you wont be near a 12vlt car, most solar chargers (small panels) are mostly gimmick.
balls & boobs. . .
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah I was looking at those fold out ones, and I think Quincy might be right... they work, but not sure how well.

I can use the car battery I guess... I just don't like doing it. I'm afraid I'll forget the ignition is on and flatten my battery in the middle of nowhere. I'll probably just let it idle.

Maybe i'll grab this " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

All of the above work fine.

As for your batt going flat doing it, they only take that amount of charge to fill them then stop, trickle to about 90% and grab some more.

For your camp site you can keep a panel attached to your main battery, spare or both, when out and about. From a Ultra-High Capacity 20800mAh linked above to a standard 12v 7amp batterys to a car or deep cycle.

Or if you want something a bit more Heavy duty.
[youtube] [/youtube]
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Thanks wobblyman, that might be getting a bit elaborate. I reckon i'll grab one of those power banks and charge it off the car. Thanks guys.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

What about something like this Dex, no need to keep the ignition on then, just hook it to the battery under the bonnet with the USB ciggie adaptor plugged into it, I reckon you could charge your phone at least 20 times before you wouldn't be able to start your car.

Phone battery 2Ah vs car battery 60+Ah, I wouldn't be too worried about flattening your car battery in a hurry.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

That may be handy to grab, cheers. We often run a shower pump off the car battery so it could be used for that too.
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

If your going to make regular trips to places without power, consider getting a dual battery setup installed. You can get kits for the $200 that will charge while you drive, then you don't need to worry about draining the main battery.

ALso make sure you get a quality USB charger. The cheap ones will barely provide enough power to charge.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I probably won't be doing anything regularly enough for that, was just looking for a gadget to keep some stuff charged. Yeah I'll grab a car charger that can provide 2.1A.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

That is where the other older car battery comes in, not as expensive as a dedicated dual setup, also being portable and use it to run other camp lights.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

140w, gotta keep the beers cold too!

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Haha awesome kwiji. :yes: :aussie:
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

Liking the look of those 10,000mAh chargers. Was looking at one of these a few months back and they look really handy in case everything turns to crap or Scottie's feels green.