Top Gear Patagonia special [SPOILERS]

Chat about stuff you've seen
petey

Top Gear Patagonia special [SPOILERS]

Post by petey »

Just finished watching Part two of this. Spoiler alert for anyone who hasn't. It is well worth watching :yes:

Probably best if you want to watch it, do so prior to reading this thread.

It seems to me like a bit of an oversight on the producers part, but what an amazing overreaction from the Argentinians. I was blown away by just how aggressive it all became and so quickly.

[youtube] [/youtube]
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
Shaun

Re: Top Gear Patagonia special [SPOILERS]

Post by Shaun »

Didn't know it existed. Will get onto it. Thanks
Hello :aussie:
Montey

Post by Montey »

Yeah, just completed part 2 as well. Part 1 is a bit dull, but part 2 gets much more interesting.

I suspect they received the plate legitimately, that it was just a coincidence, but the producers probably thought it was still useful for the story, especially because it wasn't set up. I suspect they also grossly underestimated how much the Argies still use the Falklands, and as it turns our other islands owned by Chile, to amp up the local population for their domestic political needs.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
markus

Post by markus »

Having just watched part 2, please explain to me like you would to a non-native english speaker who lives in a country far up north how does one get all wound up from a H928FKL plate ?.

Yes, I do know of the Falkland war of 1982 and I can see how FKL can be interpreted as Falkland but 28 as 82 and H9 ? My cultural knowledge does not compute. I can see how a Swedish Ice-hockey enthusiast could go full rage from a plate of FIN954-1 or FIN116-1 though :)
Much cycling such kilometers.
petey

Post by petey »

I believe the plate was H982 FKL .... which could be 1982 FALKLand

To me it's a bit of a stretch but I knew nothing of it. It may well have been the producers expected it might get a reaction, just underestimated the size of the reaction.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

The other plates he had in the car to put on during the football game said BE11 END or something like that.

I wouldn't be surprised if they grabbed the car because of the plates but still a massive over reaction. Especially since as the hosts stated, they'd been through the rest of the country without any issues.

Anyone know if the hosts were in the convoy or did they get them out on the quiet another way?

The Espirit was fantastic! Love them but they're a path to financial ruin.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
petey

Post by petey »

The hosts were taken to an airport very quickly as soon as they were given the word to get out.

According to James May they thought the convoy would be safe because the hosts were the targets.

[youtube] [/youtube]
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Just more publicity for Top gear. Who knows what else was said or done that never made it to air.

I watch it knowing most of it is set up these days, and still enjoy it for the entertainment value. Even when they do the corny shit at the end, that was obviously done after the fact. (Or May never hurt his back). Who knows.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

norbs wrote:Just more publicity for Top gear. Who knows what else was said or done that never made it to air.

I watch it knowing most of it is set up these days, and still enjoy it for the entertainment value. Even when they do the corny shit at the end, that was obviously done after the fact. (Or May never hurt his back). Who knows.
I doubt he cracked his ribs, but there was no doubt the fall from the horse knocked the wind out of him.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
petey

Post by petey »

What surprised me was that it actually did get out of hand. The mob throwing rocks etc. I really don't believe was desired.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I enjoyed it as a special. Maybe that's partly because I was anticipating the end. I hope they don't think I'm British when I'm there.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

I thought this was their worst special ever.
So many re-used jokes & scenes (i.e. Cow on car for dinner). Also hardly anything about the countries, the people & the scenery which was stunning.
I also thought many of the scenes didn't tie together, you could tell they went off the beaten path to film something interesting. (driving through the bush & swamp. etc.)
The horse scene didn't make sense, so there was a locked gate but somehow there was some locals on the other side of it with horses for them... wtf
Yes I know most of what they do is staged but at least in previous specials they tied in well & were more seamless.
Mind you James's fall off that Donkey was not staged, damn he hit the deck hard.

I'm also in two minds about the rioting at the end, was it a deliberate ploy, was it staged or was it fair dinkum?
By the looks of the damage I guess it was for real but again the way it was filmed & represented didn't convince me either way.
Also for kids, like my 10yr old boy, the whole background story made no sense (Butch Cassidy & the Falklands War).
I know he's not the target audience but their demographic being teenagers to 30yr old would mean quite a few of them may not of understood it all either.

Fingers Crossed next series picks up where the last finished & this special was just a one off piece of crapola!!!
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
petey

Post by petey »

The off road little tangents were definitely pointless.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

It's definitly far from top gear's best. The Vietnam special was brilliant. I still watch that now and then. I kinda feel like they need to get back to their roots when it comes to the specials. Just document it. It doesn't need scripts, and not everything has to be made into something epic. With a 1600 odd mile journey through South America, there would be tones of great shots and material if the crew was really doing their job well.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Funnily enough, the most poignant moment of the show for me has hardly raises a mention.

As much as I think Clarkson is a stupid old fool, the story of him racing to see his dad before he died hit me in the feels a bit more than I expected.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
petey

Post by petey »

Was it true though?
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

I don't think even he would make up a story like that.

I thought the show was ok but could have easily been done in a single 1 hour episode instead of padded out to 2.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

That Clarkson moment felt like one of the more genuine parts of the special - other than getting attacked by mob :)
Luigi only likes Ferraris.