New PC Thread #3984

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

New PC Thread #3984

Post by r8response »

So the minister for war and finance has almost (think 99%) given me permission for a new PC after the old one finally went tits up. I've pretty much nailed down everything I need/want. The only parts that were salvageable were the two 2TB hard drives and the Crucial M4 128gb SSD.

Below is what I've decided on. Just looking for any last minute opinions, critiques from the PC brains trust.

Santaria

Re: New PC Thread #3984

Post by Santaria »

Any reason why you're replacing the stock cooler? If you aren't overclocking the stock cooler will work fine.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Offer Duke some cash, he has a bunch of new stuff, never used! :D
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Santaria wrote:Any reason why you're replacing the stock cooler? If you aren't overclocking the stock cooler will work fine.
The house we're in currently, gets pretty bloody warm during a hot Summer day. So whilst I have the opportunity, I'll throw a proper cooler on it.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

r8response wrote:
Santaria wrote:Any reason why you're replacing the stock cooler? If you aren't overclocking the stock cooler will work fine.
The house we're in currently, gets pretty bloody warm during a hot Summer day. So whilst I have the opportunity, I'll throw a proper cooler on it.
Fair enough :-)

Sent from my Nexus 5
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Yep, still use the Stock cooler on my 4570k, not hit higher then 60c even at load. In our Hottest aussie conditions.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Can't really fault any of your choices, the cooler looks like a monster, just make sure there's no ram clearance issues. Galax seems to have come on the scene very recently and undercut most of the normal brands by a fair amount, makes me a bit suspicious but I don't know anything about them really.
Be Quiet! is also new to me, I have the Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 case which looks almost identical layout and design feature wise and is $40 cheaper so could be an option.

I was looking to trim about $200 to go towards a GTX 970 but there wasn't really any fat there :) The case was the only thing I could see in the end.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Any reason you want an MSI mobo?. You can pick up a gigabyte or Asus board for around the same $.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

TIMMY30 wrote:Any reason you want an MSI mobo?. You can pick up a gigabyte or Asus board for around the same $.
To begin with, I was simply going to use one of PC Case Gear's premade systems. After a little more thought, I decided to base my current build off one of the premades and then change certain parts based on what I did and didn't need.

The GPU, CPU and Motherboard are the parts I left intact. I'm not too concerned with "brands" personally. Some people like a certain brand more than others, I just went with what was already there.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

r8response wrote:
TIMMY30 wrote:Any reason you want an MSI mobo?. You can pick up a gigabyte or Asus board for around the same $.
To begin with, I was simply going to use one of PC Case Gear's premade systems. After a little more thought, I decided to base my current build off one of the premades and then change certain parts based on what I did and didn't need.

The GPU, CPU and Motherboard are the parts I left intact. I'm not too concerned with "brands" personally. Some people like a certain brand more than others, I just went with what was already there.
Cool. :). Either way it looks pretty good to me. PC upgrades are always fun!
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

The gigabyte ultra durable boards are great in my opinion. I'd highly recommend them. All boards are not built even.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Ahh well, it was all ordered this morning with a small change to the SSD. Same brand and size, just a different model as the one in the above picture ran out of stock with no date for replacements!
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Games are not Cpu bound, but just need the biggest Gpu you can afford.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Not sure what the 960 is like as i got my 970 3 days before it was released/announced. Should be a pretty decent card id say
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

My old card was the GTX 560 which also had the unfortunate Timeout Detection and Recovery issues that would cause the drivers to randomly reset/crash.

So this whole system should be quite a step up from what I previously had.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

R8, A nice step up. 960 v 560
http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-960 ... ce-GTX-560

Timmy, 960 v 970
http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-970 ... ce-GTX-960

960 is a even a little bit better then my ol 670 windforce.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ